June 09 15" MBP 2.66 - Wireless dropouts in Mac OS X

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cutigers82, Jul 21, 2009.

1. cutigers82 macrumors newbie

Hi,

New here, but seeking some advice after some false-positive hits on Google...

I have a new (June 09 model) 15" MacBook Pro, 2.66 GHz and I'm experiencing frequent (every 3-5 minute) drop outs on my wireless internet connection, but only when I'm running Mac OS X-- my Windows Vista Ultimate partition is operating flawlessly.

After Googling, I have come to the conclusion that this is extremely common in MBPro's since there is such a saturation of search results, but would like to know if anyone has found a good fix for the new models?

Background on the wireless networks used:

- home: 128-bit WEP-open
    - work: WPA2-Enterprise

Again, I haven't experienced a single disconnect when running the following:
    - Vista - wireless
    - Vista - wired
    - Mac OS X - wired

Any hints or suggestions are appreciated in advance!

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

Unfortunately I don't have a solution to your problem, but I also have a June 09 2.66 MBP and have had no wireless issues at all.

At home I use an Airport Extreme (the model before the newest ones) using 802.11n (b/g compatible mode) and WPA2 Personal. At work there is a wide variety of mostly Cisco wireless routers with open access (I have to log in through a web site).

3. cutigers82 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm curious, and will try this tonight and report back:

Will these issues occur if I reboot? Every time I've tried, I've used the Mac OS X partition after it has been put to sleep between transit from work to home.

Details to follow. Thanks for the info.

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

Do the dropouts only happen after the computer has been put to sleep and woken up?

5. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Also, what kind of wireless (b/g/n ?) and router you using?

6. cutigers82 thread starter macrumors newbie

I rebooted into Mac OS and confirmed that the dropouts occur from a fresh boot AND after loading from sleep mode.

7. cutigers82 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using a 2WIRE 2701HG-B Gateway modem/router through AT&T/Bellsouth DSL. The router is currently set on 802.11g, but has the options to operate in 802.11b and 802.11b/g mode. Additionally, the router is currently set to operate on channel 6 on power setting 10. DHCP lease is set to 24 hours. I have an iPhone and an older (2008 model) MacBook Pro that has no issues with the router otherwise.

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I was having the same problem with my March '09 MacBook Pro, the one listed in my signature. I am also using a 2WIRE gateway, although mine is a 3800HGV-B. I experimented with various settings, WPA, WPA2, TKIP, AES, different channels to no end but could not come to any resolution. I ended up installing a WRT300N router that I had sitting around and running that as a wireless access point. However, one month later, I found out that my computer has recently been connecting to the 2WIRE gateway instead of the linksys unit and it is no longer having any dropout problems, which is very strange since I have changed nothing since before, when the problem was occurring. I would suggest trying the same thing that I did; change the encryption and channel settings around. If you can't fix the problem, hook up a secondary router or use a different router altogether.