June 09 MacBook Pro Battery Question's! Please READ.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xDeathReaperx, Jun 24, 2009.

1. xDeathReaperx macrumors regular

Hey, I'm a planning on buying my first Mac. And Ive got some questions!

1.) I's it good to leave your MacBook Pro charging ALL night/All the time? Should
    1.A.) Please explain why it isn't good.

2.) What does it mean when users/people say things about that battery life for example what does this mean: Current capacity: 5325 mAh
    Original capacity: 5450 mAh
    2.A) Is that good? What does Mah mean? Please be specific on this one.

3.) Should I turn off my MacBook Pro if I'm not using it? Or Should I just put it to sleep?
    3.A) Which one is better for my Computer's battery life overtime. I do not want to have my battery go from a max of 7 hours to 4 in a matter of a year.

Please try to answer all my questions and list them in order, so your answer isn't in one 'BLOB'

Sorry If this, is confusing. And thanks for all of your help!

~xDeathReaperx

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

1) it's alright leaving it plugged in 24/7. Apple recommends you take your computer out and using it once a month to drain it completely.

More info:
    http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

2) it's a reading of how much 'juice' your battery has. mAH, or milli-amp hours how much energy the battery can provide. The current capacity is how much is in there at the moment, and the original is how much it's supposed to have brand new/on the label.

3) sleep is perfectly fine. Although you will find that the occasional restart wouldn't hurt to keep things fresh. My Macbook Pro has only ever been shutdown for a few hours total over the last 3 years.

3. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

^^ What sammich said.

2)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampere-hour

3) Your notebook used power while in sleep mode if there is no wall power. Remember that when you sleep it and forget it in your bag all night :rolleyes:

4. xDeathReaperx thread starter macrumors regular

To reply too your answer for Question #1, I heard it was actually really bad for you Mac to be charging 24/7 someone correct me if Im wrong. Feel free to be specific.

~xDeathReaperx

5. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Modern Power management units will make sure that your battery isn't charging when it's full, and top it up only when it needs it.

This has been the case for at least the last 3 years. I know this because my laptop is on my desk 99.99% of the the time, with it plugged in and the battery is still at a good 85% health (% of original capacity).

http://news.tigerdirect.com/2008/02...ugged-in-all-the-time-will-harm-your-battery/

6. xDeathReaperx thread starter macrumors regular

Wow

Well Thanks, hopefully I can find someone who answers all of my questions and not just gives me links..

~xDeathReaperx

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

People are just giving you links because you could have answered all of these questions yourself with 10 minutes of searching either the forums or the internet in general. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but these aren't uncommon questions. head over to battery university and read the information they have there, it's very good.