[June 2009 MBP] Can't burn +R DL DVDs!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StarStrike, Jun 25, 2009.

1. StarStrike macrumors member

Hey guys,

The newly refreshed MBPs have been giving me nothing but problems. There seems to be a problem with the superdrives (haha or I just have the worst luck...). I have already replaced my MBP once due to a faulty superdrive, and I feel I might have to have it replaced yet again due to another faulty superdrive. Unlike my first MBP, the superdrive does work, but it wont let me burn any dual layer DVDs!

I am currently using Memorex branded +R DVD DLs - when I try to burn files in Toast I get the following error:

Sense Key = Hardware Error
    Sense Code = 0x09, 0x01
    Tracking Servo Failure

Is there any solution to this? Or do I have to go into the Apple store for another replacement.

P.S. I know that this isn't a problem with the media because my brother's Late 2008 unibody MBP burns these discs just fine.

2. astrorider macrumors 6502

What version of Toast? I was using Toast 7 and having problems so I downloaded the free program Burn, and that's worked perfectly. You might give that a try and see if it works for you.
    http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html

3. StarStrike thread starter macrumors member

I'm using Toast 10. I am also unable to burn any of my Xbox360 backups with iburn360.

I'm going to try Burn and see if it works...

4. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Probably the media. I know many people on here have had the worst luck with memorex DL discs.

The best DL discs are probably verbatim brand.

Remember to burn at a really slow rate when working with DL discs too.

5. StarStrike thread starter macrumors member

Burn doesn't work either. The error I get this time is: "The device failed to respond properly, unable to recover or retry".

I already have 3 coasters...

To angemon89: Are you sure? My brother's Late 2008 handles these Memorex DLs just fine. I was thinking maybe it was this particular drive - I have the MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-868 (lol I've never heard of this brand before...)

I always burn these discs at the lowest speed (2.4x).

6. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

7. StarStrike thread starter macrumors member

I thought so. Thanks for your help :)

Hopefully they don't give me any trouble trying to get this replaced. Haha maybe this time I'll get a MBP with no problems...3rd time's a charm? ;)