June 2009 uMBP 15" Click noise when putting down?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheBritishBloke, Aug 10, 2009.

1. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Whenever I pick up my MBP then put it back down, There is a noticeable clicking noise which comes from the HDD i presume. Is this normal? Is it the motion sensor? I'm still in the 14 day period, should I take it back for a replacement?

2. HikariYuki macrumors member

Yes if the laptop is on and not asleep, the clicking sound is due to the motion sensor.

3. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

What he said. However it does worry me, it can't be good for the hard drives to constantly be slamming the r/w heads off the platters like that, is it?

4. RetepNamenots macrumors 6502

I thought it was the motion sensor turning _off_ or slowing down the read/write heads to prevent damage? Like an emergency off switch?

5. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Maybe it is, idk. I know when I have opened hard drives up and watched how they work inside, that same sound happens when the heads move off the platters into the parked position quickly. Its also the same sound a hard drive thats dying can make. Oh well, chances are it is better than not having the SMS turned on.

6. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

You say that it can't be good for the headers. I presume the ones in the MBP's, as they are designed with free-fall sensors, should be alright with the headers constantly slamming. I still expect they have a limit as to how often they can actually do this without breaking the drive though.

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It's the heads retracting from the platters to prevent contact in case of a fall. One search would have shown countless threads on this exact subject.

8. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Bill Gates is right. Its the SMS just doing its job. You're paranoid about it being the dreaded "click-beep" but its not. Please search next time