June 2010 highest data usage ever. Anyone else?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TonyC28, Jul 3, 2010.

1. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I have 2 iPhones on my account. One is a 3G and the other was a 3GS but is now a 4. Since downgrading to the $25 2GB data plan for both phones I've been trying to pay attention to my data usage so I don't go over. June 2010 was the highest data usage ever for both phones and for my new iPhone 4 I am on pace to hit 1.5GB this billing period, around double my highest ever data usage for a month before June. The conspiracy theorist in me jumps to the conclusion that since switching to the new tiered data plan on June 7 AT&T is somehow measuring data differently. I don't use my phone any more than I used to and have recently starting using wifi at home. I just called AT&T to ask what was going on and she said they would put a note on my account. For July 1st and 2nd I've already used 200MB so if that keeps up I'm in trouble for this month. Has anyone else noticed that their data usage is much more than it was before?

2. jyj macrumors member

I agree!

On my old 3G, I was a pretty light user and never went over 200MB. Since getting my phone on the 23rd, my usage for this cycle is over 400 MB! And this is keeping in mind that I had a dumb phone for a couple weeks before I received my iPhone 4. My usage habits are the same, I haven't done anything out of the ordinary and I also use WIFI when at home.

The only difference is that I'm still on a grandfathered Unlimited Data plan, so I'm safe...but I definitely wonder about how they are measuring and if there's something amiss. This is the exact reason I kept the Unlimited plan - as I wasn't sure what would show up on my bill once the new phone came.

3. TonyC28 thread starter macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I should have known better. I couldn't figure out why AT&T would offer 90-something% of their customers a chance to lower their data plan $5. Now I think its starting to make sense

4. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

5. Wilcha macrumors newbie

6. TonyC28 thread starter macrumors 65816

TonyC28

7. TonyC28 thread starter macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Because I had never once gone over 800MB. So a 2GB limit was no big deal. But now something has changed and I don't think its how much I use my phone

8. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

I understand, I mean currently I have had my Iphone 4 since last friday and have used a TOTAL of 20MB of cellular data. I have owned an iphone since 2007 launch and I hardly touch even 100mb per month.

Wifi is obviously a different story as I am on it NON STOP. However, when I upgraded to the iphone 4, my peace of mind was worth the extra 5 bucks over the 25-2gb plan. This way I dont have to worry, and if and when video chat goes 3g, im gonna be glad I have unlimited.

But the best thing you can do, assuming its too late to get your unlimited plan back, is to turn OFF cellular data before bed every night and anytime your on wifi. No need to have it on. It doesnt turn off the phone call portion of your phone, just data. That should take care of the 1am mysterious data usage att charged ya.

9. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

same here, but i had to go with the 2GB Plan

10. TonyC28 thread starter macrumors 65816

TonyC28

It's just weird. For a 48 hour period I use 20MB and then the next 48 hours I somehow used 200MB.

11. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

I agree, its weird. Who knows what it could be, but just turn off cellular data anytime your on wifi and you wont have to worry bout it.

12. TonyC28 thread starter macrumors 65816

TonyC28

I get what you're saying, and thanks for the tip. I'm definitely gonna try that. But this shouldn't be happening.

13. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

you could try calling att, but Im pretty sure all they will see on their end is the amount of data used. They wont have any extra info as to what was used in order to obtain that amount of data. perhaps you had some location services turned on or something?

14. TonyC28 thread starter macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Speaking of location services...does that constantly use data or just use data when using the app?

15. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

June was easily my highest data month but I can guarantee July will be even higher.

16. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

12 month avg. 3GS about 140MB.

Since 6/24 IP4 480MB down 118mb up.

I don't stream anything BTW.

17. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

I would like a more clear answer on this as well, Im gonna assume if your using GPS, it will contantly use data. Other apps may do this as well. Location services do run in the background.

As I do believe its one of the new API's that apple will allow to truly run in the background. But im not 100% sure about all this. If an app is using location services, you will see an arrow in the top right corner of your screen

18. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Yeah, mine was. I got to 2.2 gb last month, though I have Bren on an upward trend, 1.9 gb the month before and 1.4 gb the month before that. Glad I kept my unlimited plan.

19. TonyC28 thread starter macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Just a little more info to go along with my post. I'm beginning to see the bigger picture here.
    The farthest I could go back on my AT&T account for data usage was June 11th, 4 days after AT&T rolled out their new data plans and 4 days after I switched to the 2GB plan. From June 11th to June 20th, the day before iOS 4.0 was released with multitasking, AT&T is saying I used 694.5 MB of data. That is 25 MB fewer than I ever used for any entire month prior to June. And I'm sure if I were able to access the data for June 8-10 it would be well over.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that AT&T changed the way they measure data usage and that is why they changed their data plans.