June 2012 Macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chisy, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Chisy macrumors newbie

I'm finally thinking of changing my dependant but ageing 2006 17" Intel iMac. I was going to wait for new iMacs but I'm now wondering about getting the 2012 15" macbook pro. This will mainly be used at home, i.e. as a desktop, but I like the idea of being able to use it around the house and even connecting it to TV for iplayer duties etc.

I mainly use the iMac for general surfing email, a bit of excel, word processing etc. The heavy duty use is on compliling home movies in iMovie, and also backing up DVDs using Handbrake.

Currently in Handbrake a 2 hour DVD will take my iMac around 4 hours to convert to an mp4. I usually set Handbrake to Universal. Can anyone let me know how quickly the new (non-retina) Macbook Pro would take - roughly?

Are the 2011 iMacs quicker than the new Macbook Pros, if quicker then obviously the refreshed iMac (whenever it arrives) will be even quicker. Or is there not much in it?

Thanks
    Chsiy

2. TRAV9614 macrumors regular

I have a 2012 15" base model mbp and it takes just a little bit more than an hour to copy a 2 hour DVD in handbrake.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Look into buying an AppleTV along with the 2012 model MBP and you should be able to stream to your TV, wirelessly.