June 2012 "Updated Order"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Andrew Colsch, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Andrew Colsch macrumors newbie

A few days ago, I ordered a 13" Macbook Pro from the Apple Store online. Today I got an email from the address "do_not_reply_con_en@apple.com" notifying me as follows:

Dear Andrew Colsch,
    You recently ordered the 13-inch MacBook Pro. Thank you. We know you're looking forward to receiving it. You may not have heard, but we just announced the new 13-inch MacBook Pro.
    Since your MacBook Pro hasn't shipped yet, we've automatically upgraded your order to the new 13-inch MacBook Pro.
    You can get up-to-date information about your order, including shipping status and tracking number, at www.apple.com/orderstatus.
    Thank you for choosing Apple.
    Sincerely, The Apple Online Store

I'm feeling pretty wary about this. It seems kind of unlikely that it would be a scam or phishing attempt or whatnot; the only links included in the email appear to lead directly to the actual Apple Store. Avast says everything checks out okay, and Firefox says it's from who it says it's from, but I can't help but feel suspicious about this. The address is strange-looking, and not one of the typical addresses sending me information from Apple.

I haven't been able to find any information regarding this policy of automatically upgrading purchases when they happen just before a major update like this, though it does seem to me like something Apple would do. Has anyone else run into this or some similar situation?

2. Xcelerate macrumors regular

Check your original order email from Apple. It should have a link to where you can check your order status. I would use that link and see if anything has changed on the ordering page.

3. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

I've gotten emails from that address before,

To be sure of the change, go to: http://www.apple.com/orderstatus

Login and verify the change.

Also can call 1-800-MY-APPLE
    if you are concerned :)

4. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

Honestly, it is probably legit. I'd call Apple if you are feeling nervous about it. Or just wait till it comes in and go to
    :apple: -> About This Mac
    And it will tell you if it's 2011 or 2012.

5. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

If someone faked that e-mail, then they are intercepting all of your network traffic... I'd say it's most likely legitimate, but just call Apple or check online.

6. danetello macrumors 6502

Looks legit to me but call Apple to double check

7. Ljohnson72 macrumors 6502a

Ljohnson72

It's legit. Happened to one of my friends during the last update cycle.

8. mac jones macrumors 68040