June Date Still Available, How???

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Aces2412, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Aces2412 macrumors regular

What I do not understand is how the June date is still showing available if I place an order right now. The number of watches sold between 3:01 and 3:20 can not compare with the number of orders placed from 3/10 @ 3:20 until now.

I ordered the space gray sport, I had the gift card issue and missed out getting my 4/24 date and went to computer and @ 3:20 and got a June date. I know I messed up.

It seems that apple made only a few million of these watches and then are now taking manufacturing orders. Does this create hype or just start to piss folks off?

Lastly, If I place a 2nd order now will I receive it the same time as my 3/10 order?

2. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I would imagine they will be upping production now that they know which models they need more of and what sales look like. Also I would think as time goes on they can get faster at putting them together. I am not sure when they started making units to sell to the public. But clearly its not something they have been doing for eight months.

I am sure some of it is to create hype and talk. I imagine the other is a bit of protection in covering their asses.

3. bounou macrumors 6502

bounou

Have to disagree with you, between resellers and the nut jobs like me who have been waiting months for this thing I would be surprised if they did not get more sales in the first 20 minutes then in the first 48 hours.

Having said that I would not despair too much about your listed shipping date if you ordered at 320AM, a lot of orders before yours are going to get cancelled, I'm betting tons of people ordered 2-3 watches and then went in store to try on which of the 2-3 they ordered they would actually keep.

take me for example, I ordered 6 watches (need 3) and already cancelled 2 and will be cancelling another before shipping starts. One of the watches I cancelled is the one you ordered.

Apple won't be updating the ship times on your order until watches actually start shipping I would think but to answer your question I would really not cancel the first order.

4. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

It is all about the hype for the product launch.

More than likely, Apple has more than enough supply fill all orders on launch day, but they build hype by constraining supply, and also limit the number of returns. Those who stayed up late (or woke in the middle of the night) to purchase the Watch tend to be the hardcore Apple fans who will will be most enthusiastic about the product and least likely to return and/or bad mouth the product to others.

5. KPOM macrumors G5

The simpler explanation is that supply is constrained because Quanta had known production issues that were publicly documented. Combined with a new category where Apple really had no idea until the orders came in which of 34 different models would sell in which quantities, they likely did not have significant stock produced upfront. However, now that they have sorted the issues and know which ones to make, production can ramp up more quickly.

Apple doesn't really want orders pushing out 3 months so quickly. They want to meet demand.

6. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

This. Every launch the tinfoil hats come out with people saying they are intentionally limiting supply to drive up demand. Anyone who knows anything about business will tell you that NOBODY from the smallest Mom and Pop operation to the largest Fortune 500 company INTENTIONALLY limits supply.

It simply doesn't make sense financially. There is no proof that it drives up demand, and even if it *slightly* did, it wouldn't compare to actually having the watches on-hand to sell to all the people who want one NOW.

7. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

No kidding. Every watch they get on someone's arm is another free advertisement for their product, it starts conversations, draws interest of people who may not have even heard of the  watch. Heck, my colleague who uses an iPhone had no idea it even exsisted.

8. KenAFSPC macrumors 6502a

I fully expect orders to ship far sooner than indicated. I will be surprised if anyone with a ship date of June receives their Watch after the first week in May. I expect every order placed thus far to be filled this quarter, for the sake of the stock price.

9. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

People don't want to order such an expensive watch 2 months in advance. My boss was going to order 3 the morning after it went on sale (for him, his wife, and his dad), but when he saw June was the earliest to get the one he wanted, he was pissed and decided to hold off and wait.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

This makes since. If I went to order in store today and they told me June, I would just wait until it was actually in store.

This is the exact problem I am facing with the new macbook. I was going to order through apple, but it is 4-6 weeks. I placed an order with best buy b.c it says 1-2 weeks. If the best buy order does not ship in that time frame, I will just cancel my orders and wait until I can walk in and get one.

11. Uccle macrumors regular

Well, a number of extreme luxury product makers (think purses) do and, of course, there are many limited production runs (sneakers). They are designed to create a feeling of exclusivity.

That said, I agree completely that this is *not* Apple's strategy. They want to drive excitement but not overly disappointed customers. As they learn which watches are selling, their production will fall in line with demand.

12. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68000

Bazooka-joe

If what you guys are saying true then I think that shipping dates will change later this week.

13. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Agreed, a "limited edition" product is another story altogether, where a company announces in advance that they will only be making X number of a certain product. They do this to give the brand a more exclusive feel and to drive up interest in their other, non-limited edition products. But yeah, I really don't think that's what's going on here at all...

14. Tezcatlipoca macrumors regular

Tezcatlipoca

I hope so. Waiting until June for mine will be rather annoying.

15. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Three reasons

1. Under promise, over deliver. This is a key Apple philosophy. They likely know they should be able to deliver those watches in May even but they say June cause they would rather look like heroes getting it done early than idiots having to delay.
    2. Rumor is that they removed the references to product reservations and April 24th from the site because they are looking at possibly delaying the in store launch to send the batch of watches that should have stocked that launch to the online channel to fulfill orders. And if not a full delay perhaps only sending part of the previously allotted stock to the stores for a slower more quiet roll out
    3. they didn't tell you what day in June. Friday could have been June 1 and now it's more like June 20-30th

----------

so not true. Apple doesn't need to do that crap. Any limits are simply because they don't have a magic machine that can instantly product a zillion units. They very possibly didn't have it finalized until days before the March announcement and there's only so many units they can produce in that time. And it's common Apple practice not to have huge stock piles for security reasons.

And constraining stock doesn't limit returns. It's Apples and Oranges. Letting folks see, play with and try on the item before they buy it, that is how you limit returns. i was totally ready to order a stainless steel with a sport band. Until I saw it in the store and thought it too shiny and gaudy looking. i'm much happier with saving a little money and getting the dark grey sport watch.

----------

My boyfriend said that is why he thinks its insane that store employees are stuck in the same ordering sitch as the customers. Apple store employees are supposed to be the best form of advertisement etc for the products and they can't do that if they don't have an intimate knowledge of the product. So it's silly that there wasn't a system to let them order the day before and have them shipped to the stores right away for employees to wear. Or even withhold them until the 24th if Apple corp would rather. There's only so much they can train folks on via videos etc.

If they were super worried about the employees grabbing all the stock they could have set limits so only like the first say 100 orders on any model would be right away and anyone after that has to wait with the plebs.

The company makes enough money they could totally afford to give every employee a Sport Watch for free but they don't due to various weird tax laws (in some areas it's considered income), which pisses off a lot of staff. Being able And created a huge base of advertising based on personal knowledge

----------

It likely won't be that fast. More like in a couple of weeks at the earliest. perhaps not even until the end of the month.

16. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

This. It's pretty simple.

All the weird speculation is surprising, but I guess it comes from frustration.