June Update on Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Paco The Taco, Apr 17, 2008.

  1. Paco The Taco macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2008
    #1
    I have been wanting to buy a MBP but I'm not sure if I should wait because there could be an update then. What do you all think?
     
  2. asmallchild macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 25, 2007
    #2
    if you need it get it

    there's no guarantee an upgrade is coming in june

    or that your updated product will be stable/defect-free
     
  3. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

    UltraNEO*

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    Location:
    近畿日本
    #3
    It's extremely rare for Apple to update the same product line, twice in one year! Imagine how you'd feel if your machine's specification expired within four months of purchase, i'm pretty sure you won't be happy - even though it's a sign of progression. Think about it.
     
  4. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

    taylorwilsdon

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2006
    Location:
    Bay Area
    #4
    Should I buy this college textbook, or wait for a version that might come out in the future.

    Questions like this bug the crap out of me. If you have even the slightest inkling that you would use it now, buy it now. If you have the power to see into the future and don't need a computer now, but somehow will in 4 months, then wait it out. We'll be enjoying our nice laptops while you sit on your hands.
     
  5. Matek macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2007
    #5
    Well, Intel is preparing the new Montevina platform. It includes a new cpu (updated Penryn with higher FSB - 1066 and lower energy consumption), new integrated graphics (X4500), DDR3 & DisplayPort support and some other minor details. Check out Wiki.

    Its release is officially scheduled for June 3-7, which means there will definitely be an upgrade of Apple's machines too.

    If Apple is going to bitch and moan about Intel forcing them to upgrade like they usually do, you can expect MacBooks and MacBooks pro to be released at the end of June/beginning of July. If they cooperate, they can have their machines out in less than a week after the release of the platform, like many other top-class laptop makers.
     
  6. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

    iknowyourider

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2008
    Location:
    onanorthboundtrain
    #6
    Try to wait. What Macs do you have now? Maybe you could get a $500 used Mac to use now.

    Welcome to MR with your first post. These replies are of the typical variety. I'm sorry some posts come off really harsh sounding. It's hard to tell sometimes what posters really mean.
     
  7. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

    ^squirrel^

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2006
    Location:
    England
    #7
    Hi there, Welcome to MR!

    I'm going to wait until June/July myself. If you really require a machine i would buy the current model. I'm lucky, i've got use of my partners Macbook so i can use that now and again (if she'll let me)

    I can guarantee you that Intel are releasing new technology in Early June, but i cant guarantee when Apple will adopt. They were late with the Penryn, so i guess they'll be late with this. The chances are, as it'll be a new motherboard they may take this opportunity to redesign the case? Who knows.....

    Of course all new models come with their fair share of bugs, so be prepared!

    But some people aren't happy with the current MBP and they've been around a while. (Yellow tint issue)

    Bottom line, if you can hold out until July, then come and join me. Otherwise the current model is pretty good!!!
     
  8. gwsat macrumors 68000

    gwsat

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2008
    Location:
    Tulsa
    #8
    Technology changes, that is the way of the world. Thus, we know to a certainty that Apple will update the MacBook line and that it will happen in the not too distant future. What this tells me is that not buying a technologically advanced product, such as A MacBook, is a fool’s errand. Carried to its logical extreme, using the concern that something bigger and better may be in the pipeline as an excuse for not buying what you need now is a rationale for never buying it.
     
  9. masse macrumors 6502a

    masse

    Joined:
    May 4, 2007
    Location:
    MA/GA
    #9
    The rule of thumb should be: "Buy when you need it, not when you want it" for students and poor people (like me).

    "Buy it when you don't need it and upgrade every cycle" for the rest of the upper middle class spoiled mac users.

    Wait until june if you can, better safe than stupid.
     
  10. gwsat macrumors 68000

    gwsat

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2008
    Location:
    Tulsa
    #10
    Buying technology requires the exercise of judgment, of course. For example, I had avoided replacing my 5 year old PowerBook G4 17 inch until recently because it was still working well. But earlier this year, when Apple introduced the new 2.5GHz equipped MacBook Pros, the Apple dealers who still had some of the old 2.4GHz equipped MacBook Pros, started offering significant discounts on them. I bought a new MacBook Pro 2.4GHz 17 inch from Amazon and paid $500 less than I would have had to pay for one of the new 2.5GHz models.

    In short, there are a lot of decisions to be made before buying an expensive computer but automatically putting off buying because something better may be coming isn’t one of them, or so it seems to me. Whether any purchase is “stupid” or not depends on what it is and what you have to pay for it.
     
  11. markrivers macrumors 6502a

    markrivers

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    Valencia, California
    #11
    don't buy at all.
    in that way, you'll never be disappointed even if there's an upgrade tom.:D

    i'm wondering, when "YOU" guys where still using PCs ( yes! i'm still using pc together with my Mac) did you act like this? holding up buying because you're reserving your dough for the next big thing??

    or have you just recently acquired that habit after being influenced by the " WAITERS around here.

    come 2009.. those who bought their MBP last feb 08 and those who will buy during the next rumored update june/july/august etc? WILL BE ON THE SAME BOAT! since a new update is coming.

    so please.. save yourself some SANITY!
    IF YOU NEED IT NOW, BUY NOW!
     
  12. anirban macrumors 6502a

    anirban

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2007
    Location:
    Houston, TX
    #12
    Buyer's Guide

    Should help you knowing if there is an update likely or not.
     
  13. mox123 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2007
    Location:
    Chicago
    #13
    buy now if u like the current MBP keyboard....i'm sure if there's any major redesign, they'd switch it to the MBA style keyboard...which i HATE

    why i got a Penryn NOW
     

Share This Page