June Updates: How Probable? / Really Worth any Wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jzj687, Mar 1, 2008.

  1. jzj687 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    #1
    Hi,

    I've been waiting for a new MBP revision since last June.
    I am currently running on my G4 PB (1.67ghz/1gb RAM).
    I really do need a new laptop, but could wait (grudgingly) until June.

    However, the ONLY reason I would be waiting to buy one until then, would be because of the possibility of a case redesign.

    So, my question to you guys is, how probable is a case redesign of the MBP in June?
    Is this impending aspect of the June update only rumours among users here or has it been discussed broadly on different sites as a major (and usually accurate) rumour?

    I am a student and would also be interested in waiting for the student specials, but thats not a huge concern for me as I already own iPods.

    I know it's super-annpoying to have yet another thread on this subject, but since the only concern I have is a case redesign, I was wondering how probable that aspect alone, of the possible June updates, is.

    Thanks for your help.
     
  2. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2007
    Location:
    PA
    #2
    The next platform, Montevina, is expected to debut in early June. It is possible the new MBP's will follow shortly. However, being only days after the MBP revision, it is almost impossible to determine what a future MBP update would entail.
     
  3. wolfattack macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2008
    #3
    I am a student as well, and i just ordered my first MBP on thursday.

    Just buy it now, the longer you wait, the longer you will waste your own time looking at this site for meaningless speculations.

    If you buy a mbp now, and the case redesign comes this summer, either keep your still very up to day laptop, or sell it for maybe 75-80% of what you paid for it, and buy the new one. But i just say buy it.
     
  4. darfel macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Location:
    NorCal
    #4
    Why wait...

    You might get a redesign, what if you don't like it?
     
  5. puke macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2007
    Location:
    Sweden
    #5
    The new MBP just got released. Get it and be happy. (Tbh, I dont think they will redesign it for a while, this design is good and useful) and hot ^^
     
  6. jzj687 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    #6
    Thanks,
    But mainly, I was wondering:

    What is the possibility of a case redesign in June? Do you guys have any broadly circulated rumour to back that up, or is it just a rumour going around on this board?
    (and no, the irony of using a rumour to back a claim up is not lost on me, lol)

    As far as chipsets go, that's not really a reason for me to wait...But a redesign is... So what do you think?
     
  7. patp77 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2007
    #7
    There is no official (or unofficial) rumors regarding a case redesign. The only reason people are speculating about one is because the current Macbook Pro design has been around since 2003. For a design to last 5 years is a little surprising but it just goes to show how far ahead of its time that it was. So, because it's been around for 5 years, it's only fair to say that a redesign is probably going to happen sometime soon (doubtful that it would last another 5 years) but are you honestly willing to wait around just for a case redesign? What if the redesign doesn't suit your taste?

    In terms of odds, I'd say June is unlikely to bring us any new case redesign. Why? Because Montevina platform is scheduled for release in June and it usually takes a month or two for production lines to ramp up. Apple needs to make sure it has secured enough of the chipsets in order to accommodate the massive demand that would ensue shortly thereafter so it's probably safer to assume September/October as being the earliest the new design would be released. That being said, it is possible a case redesign could occur since the new chipset requires some board changes and if they could get it out in time for back to school it would make for a great timeframe as students would likely be tempted to switch over to a Mac if the redesign was made to be appealing to them. I just don't think that Intel's stock levels will be able to live up to Apple's expectations.


    At this point, the only reason I would be tempted to wait is if you really don't need a new laptop now and prefer to take advantage of the back to school offers on top of the slight possibility of a case redesign. Just don't yell at us if it doesn't happen when you want it to since no one here can give you anything more than a personal opinion.
     
  8. ChrisN macrumors 65816

    ChrisN

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2007
    Location:
    Demarest, NJ
    #8
    look on the bright side, even if they just to a small revision the refurb SR and penyrn MBPs will be really cheap.

    ChrisN
     
  9. aforty macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2007
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #9
    There is no such thing as an "official" rumor. ;)
     
  10. patp77 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2007
    #10
    Well, I realize it doesn't quite come out right but what I meant was:

    -Official rumor: a rumor that comes from a respectable website and/or source
    -Unofficial rumor: a rumor that comes from users on this forum

    Still, you're right that a rumor is a rumor no matter what the source. I should have said "credible rumor" instead. :)
     
  11. aforty macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2007
    Location:
    Brooklyn, NY
    #11
    I know what you meant, just yankin' your chain. :D
     
  12. ArkabaS macrumors member

    ArkabaS

    Joined:
    Dec 3, 2004
    Location:
    The Moon
    #12
    Right. There is a 50/50 chance you will not like the new design. Plus, a new design (probably) means a slew of bugs and glitches. Remember all the problems in the Rev. A Intel MBP? If you buy now, you are getting a thoroughly ironed out, last generation motherboard design using a modern, relatively future-proof SSE2-capable processor. Apple will not implement WiMax and BluRay is still questionable. It's up to you of course. I was in your shoes until this morning, when I took the plunge and bought myself the base model MBP.
     
  13. llorxela macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 17, 2008
    #13
    I also feel that there should be a new mbp in june because that is the time when students (one of apple's largest target groups) will be needing a computer for college. With all of the new updates on montevina i would think that apple would want a piece of that pie. so wouldn't it make sense for apple to come out with one in that mid-summer time period?
     
  14. ibizarocks macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2007
    #14
    yeh it's funny that this design is supposed to be tried and tested with all the bugs ironed out. Is that why people complain about their DVD slot bending?????

    wait for the new design. how often is something new brought out that people don't like??? it happens but less often than when something new is brought out that people love!
     
  15. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 13, 2008
    #15
    If you don't mind going several more months on your old computer, go ahead and wait. Whether they're updated or not, you can still pick up a new Penryn MBP with the summer "free iPod for students" thing Apple usually has. And if there is a new update and you don't like it, the old Penryn MBPs should see a drop in price on the refurbs.

    But if you need a new computer ASAP, don't bother. Just get one now.

    If you don't mind using the old one a few more months, you might as well wait and see and get whatever extras you can during the summer.
     
  16. TodVader macrumors 6502a

    TodVader

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2005
    Location:
    Quebec, Canada
    #16
    I'm just happy I will have the money for my new laptop in august/september. I cant wait to see those new designs if any at all. My 1.33Ghz iBook runs at 100% CPU 75% of the time just working on my website!


    arkabaS, your sig says you have 1.25 TB of ram!:eek:
     
  17. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

    Viper2005

    Joined:
    Dec 2, 2007
    Location:
    Canada
    #17
    Just wait for the Montevina update. If there is a redeisgn and you don't like it, then you can order a refurb high end Penryn MBP for really cheap.
    Either way you win. ;)
    I decided to not order a Penryn MBP, and to wait and see what the Montevina update brings.
     
  18. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 15, 2005
    #18
    I really like the multi-touch trackpad on the MacBook Air and once it was introduced I decided to wait for a MBP with multi-touch.

    Now that I've used the huge MBA trackpad with the multi-touch, I felt the MBP's trackpad was tight (too small) when using multi-touch gestures.

    That's just my opinion of course, but I'm going to wait one more refresh and see if Apple changes the trackpad size (and switches to a magnetic latch).
     
  19. cobbe1 macrumors member

    cobbe1

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    #19
    good for you. that's exactly the point. there's always a next "upgrade." waiting for the Montevina, another six month is Nahelem....what to do....might as well buy it now and no matter what you'll enjoy the current one for six months instead agonizing for six months.
     
  20. jzj687 thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    #20
    yea... but the whole point of my thread is that I don't care about those upgrades. They don't even factor in to my decision at all. As I said above...twice, the only updates I care about are case redesigns.
     
  21. jbg232 macrumors 65816

    jbg232

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2007
    #21
    I say buy now and here's why:

    Montevina's speed improvement if very marginal, it increases the front side bus which will have marginal effects.

    However, the thing AFTER Montevina, which is called Nehalem which is due out in Q2 '09 (you will have to wait a year from now) is supposed to be AWESOME. It is a complete motherboard redesign and early benchmarks have shown it to have 100-200% performance increases over today's processors (compared to 5-20% with penyrn and montevina upgrades). There is no question that Nehalem is worth waiting for compared to Montevina, but that requires a year commitment which no one wants to do. So, if you want to wait, just wait for Nehalem, if not, just get the penryn now.
     
  22. Twe Foju macrumors 6502

    Twe Foju

    Joined:
    Dec 20, 2007
    Location:
    Jakarta
    #22
    buy now, and when Montevina comes out, sell the Penryn MBP and buy new one

    because you can never invest in a tech product, if you do, you'll never own a laptop
     
  23. NKA macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2008
    #23
    I suspect that the Same MacBook Pro designs have been around for so long is becuase, firstly they are iconic. Secondly because of the tooling costs involved. The tooling for aluminium is much more expensive than for Injection molded plastic cases.

    Whether Apple will release a new case design in June is anyones guess.

    Neal
     
  24. jinxer5000 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #24
    Waiting is so overrated...(this coming from someone who waited a year and a half!) =P
     
  25. jinxer5000 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2008
    #25
    Yeah they are I was at Best Buy this weekend and there were two Sony clones of the MacBook line. One was silver and have almost the same look/dimension of the Pro. The other was a white MacBook knockoff.
     

Share This Page