Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

punjabimc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009
I'm currently an international student in the UK. I've decided what Mac to get but there was just a slight problem that has been nagging me.

In case Snow Leopard is released at the WWDC and/or the current Macbooks are upgraded, approximately how long will it be before they will hit the shelves?

The reason I ask this is because I go back home on the 20th of June and wont be back till late September. I will probably miss the last date of the back-to-school special if I delay my purchase till my return.

So as an estimate, how long does it take for new macs to be available after their release announcement?

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
I'm currently an international student in the UK. I've decided what Mac to get but there was just a slight problem that has been nagging me.

In case Snow Leopard is released at the WWDC and/or the current Macbooks are upgraded, approximately how long will it be before they will hit the shelves?

The reason I ask this is because I go back home on the 20th of June and wont be back till late September. I will probably miss the last date of the back-to-school special if I delay my purchase till my return.

So as an estimate, how long does it take for new macs to be available after their release announcement?
it really depends take the original iphone it took almost 6 months to reach the shelves from its announcement but if all goes as normal probably about 2 weeks but recently they have been coming out weekend of or day of announcement

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home

Why not order it and get it stored in the UK, through your education's IT dept, or similar? Surely there are some trustworthy folk here?
Maybe ask a tutor etc to take delivery and store it?

MacBook.Matt

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
plus, ive heard if you order from the UK Apple Store as a student, you get 3 free years of Apple Care. Thats INCREDIBLE!

fokket

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2009
plus, ive heard if you order from the UK Apple Store as a student, you get 3 free years of Apple Care. Thats INCREDIBLE!

You don't get the phone support if I'm right. but hey, warranty is the one that you really need.

punjabimc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2009

Unfortunately you dont. You get the standard 1 year warranty with 90 day phone support. The 3 year applecae option costs an extra 46 pounds for students.

Why not order it and get it stored in the UK, through your education's IT dept, or similar? Surely there are some trustworthy folk here?
Maybe ask a tutor etc to take delivery and store it?

I can have it delivered to another address to a couple of good friends but onviously I'd prefer to receive it myself. And ordering through the IT department is out of the question. My university is too huge, even if that were possible it would take ages to sort out.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)

Well since Apple has already announced that they'll be giving a final preview of SL at WWDC, I think it's fairly safe to say it's not being released then.

For minor speed bumps it's usually not long; a couple weeks at most.

chameleon81

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006

no phone support and only if you order over the phone or on internet. If you go store you pay 40-50 and get AppleCare. ( but then you have the chance to get VAT receipt which you can claim when you leave the country. YOu have to argue with the staff though. They dont want give it . Just scare them with rules and regulations . They will get panicked and fell helpless ( typical reaction of a English person when you start talking about rules bla bla, they freeze and call for supervisor who is 99% nothing but just a title anyway ) and will give you the VAT receipt

Rhalliwell1

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I think the most we can hope for is a release date for snow leopard and i think the earliest release date will be 1 month after WWDC. What i think will happen is they will offer a £5 upgrade to snow leopard in the time period between the release date being announced and the release it's self. I think they did something similar with tiger>leopard?

Note: There is a lot of speculation there.

Personally, I think snow leopard will be september/october time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.