Jungledisk vs Mozy online backup services?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by eyespii, May 5, 2008.

1. eyespii macrumors 6502

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with either service? I know that Mozy offers unlimited off-site backup for $5/computer, but I've heard some horror stories about actually getting data restored. What about Jungledisk? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

2. dws90 macrumors regular

I've been using Jungledisk for a while now, and I haven't had any problems with it. It works perfectly, is insanely cheap, and your data is more or less guaranteed to stay safe no matter what happens to the company (since the actual storage is done on Amazon's servers, and they're not going away anytime soon). The fact that it's cross-platform without having to pay again is also very useful - I use it to backup my various Linux VMs. They're currently beta testing a new version that has a whole bunch of new features, including a more Mac-like interface.

I admit I've never used Mozy. From what I've read, however, its main advantage is unlimited storage for only $5/month. Since Jungledisk has you pay by how much space you use, you'd need to be backing up quite a bit of data for Mozy to be a better deal.

3. Halfempty macrumors newbie

If I had to choose between these to online backup services I would choosy Mozy, but to be honest there are other better backup options out there. I use SugarSync because it allows me to synchronise my backups between different computers, it has a 2gb free trial so give it a go.

4. wyclef macrumors newbie

well I've been using ZenOK AND Im so surprised with ZenOK Online backup besides it has a Free Antivirus, the best one I found was ZenOK charging only 34 USD per year for 150 GB of backup space :D. I’m very please to have selected ZenOK

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

hmm... a newbie's first post is to promote an online backup service? I suspect the poster is an agent of zenok. And why would you need a free antivirus or any antivirus for the Mac?

6. dborja macrumors 6502a

I've been using CrashPlan. Works great and restores painlessly. It also backs up to other computers if you don't want to pay for their storage ($4.50/mo). I got a coupon code for CrashPlan+ at the Macworld event which adds more capability

7. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

Storage has gotten so cheap nowadays that I see no reason why not to pay for the expense yourself of buying the backup hard disks. The average somewhat decent hard disk comes with a three year warranty; but, in most cases, the cost of a single backup hard disk for those years is less than the service for the same period of time. Now, if you have lots and lots of hard disks, you probably don't want to go the route of buying a replacement disk for each one and such a deal of $55-$60 a year for ALL of your backup needs makes much more sense. Of course, if you have sensitive data that you are personally responsible for (besides to yourself), you probably shouldn't leave all of the eggs in one basket. A BlacX Duet and SuperDuper and some hard disks are sufficient for most backup needs, even if you are doing the backup from a laptop and lack the ability to swap disks in/out as you can do on a Mac Pro.

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it really depends on how much you want to backup and what you want to do with it. I use dropbox for my buisness and important stuff. Since it will sync with as many computers as I want.
    for home I use mozy so I can backup all my music 250 gigs. I also use one of the free ones and keep it under 2 gigs and I use time capsule Dropbox is fast but expensive for very many files. jungle disc does not look bad but for 250 gigs it is over 30.00 a month.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If your house burns down you're screwed. Off site storage is always a good idea.

From what I've heard Carbonite is the best out there currently. Great price and great service is what people say.

10. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I tried carbonite but I had problems with the software not working.
    the problem with the unlimited services is that they are slow. Pay more you get faster uploads.

11. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

That would be why you can get fireproof safes (waterproof, too, if you live by a river) and store the hard disks in safe(s) while they are not in use.

As for online backing up, most ISPs impose a fairly conservative limit on your monthly bandwidth, some as little as 250GB/month or less. If you have TBs of data and try to upload it all at once, your internet service will likely be suspended or terminated.

In any event, I prefer to backup at a Gb/sec speed as opposed to a Mb/sec speed; heck, I'd say going at that speed takes longer to backup than I'd like to spend backing up. It is also helpful to know that I can monitor the health of the disks my important data is backed up on and that no one else has the ability to guess what's backed up on it if they should guess the encryption key. With government limiting how secure of a key you can even select and many file types having reoccurring literal characters in them, it is much more likely to happen than your post seems to suggest.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I've found Carbonite to work well for my needs.

Tried Crashplan and Mozy. Both are slow but okay.

The big issue is restoring IMHO. If you have all your data backed up, but it's hard or slow to retrieve when you need it then the backup plan is not effective.

That's my 2 cents.

13. wyclef macrumors newbie

mmm I dont know what you mean :confused::confused: I just speaking my mind...

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

humph. Your first post here is to promote something. You lack credibility. It is quite common to see new posters where their first post is to promote something and they never post on anything else. This smacks of a shill.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That guarantee is not even worth the paper it was printed on. What good is this promise of the company does go belly up and the servers are repurposed for a paying customer, i.e., your data is wiped.

Storage is so cheap now a days I see little reason in putting my trust in a company that they'll take backups and protect my data and my data is accessible in the event that I need it. Plus how long will it take to restore my backups, i.e., download speed vs. access speed of an external drive.

I've seen some threads/articles (can't find it now) about people having trouble downloading and restoring their data with these type of services.

If you do go with one, do a dry run, backup your data and then a restore with them. Its better to see how it works when its not an emergency.

16. Vercingetorix macrumors regular

I've been using Backblaze for at least a year with no problems. The initial upload takes forever, of course, but I'm sure it does with all these systems that are designed to upload unobtrusively in the background. I went with Backblaze because I liked how, in the event of a disaster, you have the option of having them FedEx a hard drive to you with all your data on it. If my house burns down, then $200 to get my data back immediately will be the least of my worries.

Hard disk space is incredibly cheap nowadays, and I certainly thought about just buying a couple of extra drives and keeping one rotated out over at my sister's house. But then that's one more thing to keep up with, and once you spend a couple hundred dollars on two drives you're up to the same price as three or four YEARS of an online service. Add that to the fact that I've had the unpleasant experience of losing data, confidently pulling out my backup drive, and then discovering that the backup drive was corrupt, and I think that automatic, encrypted, offsite backup of all my pictures and music and videos is the easiest five bucks I spend a month.

17. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

You're not using the service for primary storage but backup. How much of a guarantee do you need other than general reliability? I mean, if say the company dies like you said and all data is wiped without warning, unless that happens right when your house burns down, is that reeeally a problem?

18. Vercingetorix macrumors regular

Exactly. If one company goes out of business, you move to another one. I don't use this as my primary or even secondary backup; this is my Once In A Lifetime Disaster backup that I never have to think about. Several companies offer the same basic service; I don't really care which one of them I send my five bucks a month to.

I have hourly backups via Time Machine to a USB drive plugged into my router. I make weekly bootable clones to a couple of USB drives I keep on the shelf. And everything gets constantly, automatically uploaded to Backblaze in case my house burns down. For the first time, I'm 100 percent confident that I'm not going to lose any data no matter what happens, and other than making a clone once a week it all happens automatically without me having to do a thing.

19. cmassage macrumors newbie

Does CrashPlan slow your computer down??

I've seen Mozy slow down a computer to a painful level.
    How has your experience of speed compromise been?

20. wyclef macrumors newbie

what is your issuee ah???

21. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I've been using Crashplan for a couple of months with no noticeable impact on system performance. You also have options to tell Crashplan to run only at certain times and to constrain bandwidth use to specific amounts both for when you are actively using your machine and when you are away.

22. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

I enjoyed Mozy and Carbonite until I encountered the 200GB throttle. I wanted a service to backup my local storage, in case anything happened to my arrays. I have two Raid-5 arrays that each contain four 2TB disks; one array mirrors the other. I am protected against disk failure, since I can absorb up to 5 out of 8 disks failing without losing data. But I wanted an online service to rely on, since anything could happen to the arrays themselves.

I used both Mozy and Carbonite. Both services were fine (though Carbonite seemed to give you more information about the status of your backup). My problems started when I encountered the 200GB "limit". Before the limit, my bandwidth was limited only by my internet connection. After 200GB, my upload speed was less than 1/20th of what I was getting before.

Both services advertise unlimited space, and I suppose that is true, but all your data will never get on their servers, since they severely throttle you past 200GB. I realize it is a business decision and I respect that, but nowhere is it displayed on their respective websites.

You also don't hit the limit until after the trial is up, and if you have already subscribed, it's too late to go back.

I liked both services, and likely would still be a subscriber if not for the throttling.