Juniper Visa Card 365 day 0% interest fraud

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lmpierce, May 20, 2009.

1. lmpierce macrumors newbie

For anyone who recently purchased from the Apple Store and took advantage of the Juniper Visa 365 day 0% interest offer for purchases of $1000 or more, you may have a very unpleasant surprise in your first statement. Because Apple bills line items in a single order separately as they are shipped, Juniper treats each line item separately when applying the 0% interest offer. If, for example, you bought a $2000 computer and an $800 monitor, and they shipped on different days (highly likely since computers take at a least 2 or 3 days to build), Juniper will give you the 0% interest for 365 days on the computer, but you will have 0% interest for only 90 days on the monitor.

Juniper will not adjust your account under any circumstances. I spoke at length with a supervisor and they are absolutely resolute on this. It is an even greater offense, however, that when I originally spoke with Juniper about the promotional offer, they reassured me in no uncertain terms that the entire order would be treated as one purchase and that all line items would be billed at 0% interest for 365 days as long as the total order was $1000 or more. They even said, and I quote, "It's not your fault Apple bills items separately from the same order. Don't worry, we treat the entire order as a single purchase and you will receive 0% financing for 365 days on the entire order." Given what has actually come to pass on my first statement, it is now clear they misrepresented their offer. Combined with Apple's way of billing, the customer ends up in a seemingly no-win higher-cost-impact-than-expected situation.

The worst is yet to come: Because of the way payments are applied to the Juniper Visa account, if the customer does not pay off the ENTIRE account in 90 days, they will be charged DEFERRED INTEREST on the 0% for 90 day purchases as well as regular ongoing interest on the entire balance.

If you are having this experience, you should call Apple customer care and ask to speak to a supervisor. As of this last Monday, May 20, Apple customer care has begun receiving complaint calls about this problem, and you want to add your voice to the chorus. Furthermore, be clear and reasonable about your dissatisfaction and ask what Apple can do for you. They adjusted my order and offered a small compensatory credit for my difficulties.

I think Juniper knows exactly what it is doing and I believe they are complicit in a true scam. I think Apple has been caught off-guard by this situation and wants to do right by their customers. It is important that you make the effort to complain to Apple so that they feel pressure to put pressure on, or even better, terminate their relationship with Juniper. As customers we deserve honest representations and fair business practices.

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

That's actually fairly common, especially with department store offers. If yo don't pay off the balance before the free interest period ends, they charge you back interest. It's a nice little surprise if you're not expecting it.

3. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

This is a very common task in these "XX days same as cash" type deals. A while back, I read an article discussing these type of things, and it was saying a shocking number of people don't pay off the things in the required time and get hit with huge interest charges. I wish I could remember where I found that piece. Curse this swiss cheese memory of mine.

This, btw, is why I would never use this type of deal. All it takes is one slip up and you get nailed with huge fees. There is no consumer electronic device, furniture, etc, that I want badly enough to finance the purchase.

4. lmpierce thread starter macrumors newbie

Case resolved

Barclays Bank, the parent company of Juniper, has resolved this case. They called me this morning and indicated that they corrected the billing error. This is as it should be - I only expected them to honor their own offer, nothing more, and nothing less.

To recap, the problem was not with deferred interest charges per se. The problem was that Juniper and Apple offered 0% financing for one year, and when the bill arrived, some of the items in the order were converted to only 90 days 0% financing, not one year. This would mess up the entire offer by creating financial hardship through deferred interest charges that shouldn't be applied so soon, as well as regular interest charges being added too soon. It would also have been a violation of various truth in advertising and Fair Credit Act laws, although that's little comfort to the consumer who may have little practical recourse except to do as I did and be persistent with the companies involved. I suspect that Apple, with mounting complaints, made a phone call and straightened things out.

5. islandman macrumors 6502

Out of curiosity, what did you have to do specifically to get Barclays to resolve it?

6. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Im really glad you got sorted mate :)

Why would Apple do anything to help, though (as they did with you)? Isn't it really Juniper's fault?

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I'd imagine it's because Apple makes a fair amount of sales contingent upon the opportunity for the purchaser to make the purchase with the card. It's bad for business for Apple if people are upset and start a Juniper mutiny.

8. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

Ahh! Thank you :)

9. lasermn macrumors newbie