junk deleting/cleaning?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by soundklinik, Jan 25, 2015.

1. soundklinik macrumors member

I am not very familiar with the Apple terminology, but my question is: how do you clean junk, deleted files and everything to free space on ipad air?

On a pc, I de-fragment HDD, delete junk, never with loss of datas.

On ipad I used Battery memory system status and Memory disc scanner pro, and both have a nasty habit of erasing my in app purchases, so I deleted both.

What safe tools are there to just clean junk and "defragment"? (is that done in iOS?)

Or how do I "free" ipad from temp files etc?
    Also is it possible to completely delete apps? They always show in cloud.

TIA

2. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

You don't have to it manually. iOS does this on its own. If you want to free up space, look under Settings > Usage > Manage Storage where and what you could delete from your phone.
    Some apps don't automatically clear their caches, e.g. Facebook. In this case you delete the app from your phone and re-download it from the App Store. Keep in mind that you could lose your app settings, e.g. if you delete Facebook you just login after re-download and everything is the same but that doesn't work for apps where your data is just locally on your phone.

No, and you don't need to because as you said, they aren't on your phone. If you delete an app from your phone it's completely removed.

3. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Create a back up to iCloud and or iTunes and then restore.

This will reduce the 'other' section. Although it will grow slowly.

Regularly delete calendar entries, reminders and text messages along with emails that may have attachments.

Move your pictures etc to an option such as DropBox.

4. Ethos Evoss macrumors regular

Ethos Evoss

download iCleaner via cydia ... great.. http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--8EMIDH5Z--/17kwa7f8n2atdjpg.jpg

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

6. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

Use Battery doctor from kingsoft. It fills all the memory left in the iphone and than it triggers the ios cleaning process. Normally this cleaning process stars when you're memory is 0 bytes but with this app you can do it all the time.

7. iRoRo macrumors regular

iRoRo

I'm a bit sceptical about these type of apps.
    Try to access KS mobile web site and their tweet account.
    Website primarily in chinese without language choice and tweet account hasn't been updated since 2013. :(

8. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

Yeah sure, very dangerous, almost scary, stay away from in at all costs....that's why, you can find it in AppStore :)

9. Ethos Evoss macrumors regular

Ethos Evoss

I am using it on 8.1.2 and works perfect ..

10. MarcusCarpenter macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

Phoneclean is a free app for windows and Mac that allows you to clean files, there is a deep clean mode which is paid however but you can find a genuine key on Google as the company gave it away for a certain period - everyone's key was the same

I use it to clean my iPhone

11. ipooed macrumors 6502

ipooed

I second iMobie phone clean, great little tool.... used to be free (just before they started charging for it) they released a free lifetime key GFZO-LNQD-MNHJ-FBOU-TDZE

12. Killchain macrumors member

Killchain

That worked like a champ, nothing like things that are free.
    Thank you!! :)

13. ipooed macrumors 6502

ipooed

Anytime :)

14. chabig macrumors 68040

Hmmm...I wonder why it's free...what possible motive could a developer have for enticing me to run something that messes around with the guts of my system...think about it...

15. sbailey4, Jan 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2015

sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

I believe he already said he used this and like others experienced loss of data that was not intended. One better way to recover some lost space is by deleting Battery Doctor. Its a useless waste of space on the phone and the cleaning apps of it do not work reliably. It does nothing to improve battery so basically just a waste of space. :)

Also the iPhone clean from iMobi seems to work pretty well. I have used it when had 16gb device and never had any issues. You can selectively delete app cache and other items.

16. sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

I would guess the same motive of all the other free apps in the App store. Except as mentioned this is a paid app. They offered a free license for posting on twitter or facebook for promoting it a while back. That was the license that was posted. Anyone that would be looking at this as an option is certainly smart enough to make sure to have backups of their data (even though this creates a backup before doing anything automatically). Can always restore iOS and restore a backup if anything were to go wrong.

17. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

It's useless, it does not clean app caches.

18. ipooed macrumors 6502

ipooed

does for me

19. FatPuppy macrumors 68000

FatPuppy

How did you do that? The app has a serial number and when I deep scan it, it cleared only 1.04 mb.

20. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

As others pointed out, seems to work for me as well.

Apps category went from 11.25GB to 6.37GB on my iPad. Hardly did anything to "Other": 8.36GB vs 8.29GB after running.

So, helps some with freeing up some space.

21. soundklinik thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for replies, however, I am talking about iPAD, not iPhone (not that it makes a lot of difference, both being iOS8,) just wanted to clarify...

Also NOT jailbroken, not sure it would make any difference...

I should have said that I use my iPad for music only, I have no photos, no social links, no calendars etc, I only move WAVe samples/loops from PC into samplers and apps like AudioShare.

Well after a few dozens of music apps I am running so much out of space that I try to use essential apps only and not to have a "cluttered pad" ....

Thank you all for helpful advices:)

22. ipooed macrumors 6502

ipooed

I believe the above program "phone clean" the one I provided the free serial for works for iPad as well

23. bala87 macrumors newbie

Google "phone clean" ! You will get a link. It's available for both Mac and windows. Really does work.