Junk Mail and Mailbox behaviour

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chickenlegs, Dec 19, 2007.

1. chickenlegs macrumors member

chickenlegs

Does Mail not automatically move incorrectly labelled 'Junk' mail into my Inbox when I select them as 'Not Junk' in the Junk folder??
    Is this an action that Mail is able to perform? It seems a very sensible idea but I cannot see where I would set this preferrence nor how I would set up a rule to carry out this function.

Also, is there a way of getting Mail to remove messages from mail account mailboxes that are filtered and identified in a 'Smart Mailbox'? Otherwise you end up with two copies of every message and it seems there is limited advantage in setting up a Smart Mailbox in the first place.

I am a convert to Mac and have been using Opera on a pc. As far as I can see there are a many functions that Mac Mail could learn from Opera Mail.

I am using Mail on a new iMac with Leopard and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Chris

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you can set the junk mail settings in mail's preferences. "mark as junk mail, but leave in inbox" leaves junk mail in the inbox so you can leave it as junk or set it as not junk if its a proper email so mail "learns". Apple recommends after approx couple of weeks (depending on how many emails you get) to change the setting to "move to junk mailbox" so that mail filters your junk mail properly and moves it to the junk mailbox which appears in the sidebar.

smart mailbox emails are just "aliases" of the real emails in the inbox and are not copies. a smart mailbox is just a spotlight search which shows emails just like there in your inbox. theyre very useful ive and currently got setup a recently viewed and family smart mailbox.

3. chickenlegs thread starter macrumors member

chickenlegs

Junk mail behaviour

"you can set the junk mail settings in mail's preferences. "mark as junk mail, but leave in inbox" leaves junk mail in the inbox so you can leave it as junk or set it as not junk if its a proper email so mail "learns". Apple recommends after approx couple of weeks (depending on how many emails you get) to change the setting to "move to junk mailbox" so that mail filters your junk mail properly and moves it to the junk mailbox which appears in the sidebar."

Thank you, richthomas, I appreciate this, but why, if you identify incorrectly tagged junk mail as non-junk, does it leave it in the junk mailbox? Surely it should remove it from this filter and place it in the inbox?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

yeh i just tested this and it doesnt seem to place it in the inbox. so i think you have to drag it into the inbox.