Junk on inner bottom plate

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Meitou, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Meitou, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014

Meitou macrumors member

Hey everyone, while switching my hdd to a SSD today, I found some gunk inside the bottom plate of my notebook, near where the battery is. Some of it was even on my battery. I was just wondering if anyone knew what it was? I thought it was caused by maybe the battery acid leaking out of the battery but cannot be totally sure. My laptop still runs fine. Here is a picture of what I'm referring to. Does anyone have ideas about how to remove it, I didn't want to use water to wash it off and scrubbing it with a napkin didn't work. There were some on my battery but i scrapped it off with my nail.

2. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Most likely some residue from a liquid spill. If your battery was leaking you'd notice other symptoms.

3. Mars Is Waiting macrumors member

Mars Is Waiting

Some sort of spill. Be sure none of your components have the residue on them before you turn it back on.

To get it off, try some GooGone.

4. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Before skipping all the way to GooGone, I'd try some isopropyl alcohol first.

5. Meitou thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I was going to try to put some alcohol on it tomorrow to try to see if it would go away. Thanks for the tip!

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Definitely looks like the remains of a liquid spill. Try alcohol, if that doesn't work, some water and soap (using a moist paper towel, not soaking the laptop ;) )

7. Meitou thread starter macrumors member

Yeah thank God it was only near the battery and not the logic board. I've had close calls with liquid and my Mac before, one time being that I spilled water on a desk and didn't notice till morning having the area under my Mac be completely surrounded by water. Thank God it was on a leveled surface so the water couldn't get into the mac