Junk or treasure? (motorola prototype)

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by cykryn, Apr 18, 2007.

1. cykryn macrumors newbie

Those old motorola prototype machines that never shipped with an apple prototype os, is that something someone would want collect?

is there a price catalog for old apple stuff?

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Maybe. Got a pic?

eBay kinda sets the pricing...

3. cykryn thread starter macrumors newbie

more info

At first I was being vague, I didn't know what I had, i still dont really. It's been stored in its original box for over 10 years so condition is new. Now that I have opened the box. I know more, their was paperwork.

<snippit>Documentation states Orient Express is the first CHRP compliant computer that Will be offered by apple and Motorola. </snippit>

No cd-roms or floppies but a preloaded Hard drive.

It's an Orient Express prototype (code name)
    Hardware Viper (code name)
    System Opus (code name)

(plugged it in)...no smoke...light came on...
    It boots (amazing) still works after sitting for 10 years wow.

System Software 7.6
    Mac-OS (tm) on CHRP v1.0
    32mb ram

case sticker states 32mb/1gb/200mhz/604

Inside it has pci and eisa looking slots a scsi terminator and both ADB and standard (pc) keyboard and mouse connectors.

the mother board is mounted on a slide and could pull out the back. the case is very pc'ish and just says PowerPC at bottom right front. There is a sticker on the front of the cd-rom that states "internal CD nonfunctional" and the cover over the HD is missing and no sticker were the model name would be displayed.

I do have photos and will post if this is interested

now the big question...

(is this junk or collectible?)

I am pretty sure this system never shipped. I am more of a junk guy than a mac guy so I dont know. hope someone can help.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, pictures are most certainly in order. If this is indeed true, you may have quite the collectible on your hands cykryn. :)

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

6. cykryn thread starter macrumors newbie

no model plate (blank)

since this never went into production it may never had a model number or at least I wouldn't know it. i did give the code names of the hardware. will supply pic soon. just need to unload my camera.

7. cykryn thread starter macrumors newbie

ok photos of machine

let me know if I missed something, i do have more photos

Attached Files:

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

It did go into production. You have a Moto clone prototype.

I've never seen one. I don't know how much they're worth. Post on eBay if you want to sell and see how much it goes for.

I have an old PowerComputing clone I bought off ebay years ago for $40 plus shipping...

9. cykryn thread starter macrumors newbie

what model is it?

ok, i know nothing it was too long ago. what would be the model number, is this a starmax (something)

what about the os? should i care or try and back it up?

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yep, here is the info:

http://lowendmac.com/moto/4000.shtml

11. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

12. cykryn thread starter macrumors newbie

more confused than ever

I was not able to find any production machine like this one. it looks like a APC made by Motorola made for apple.
    A did find a good description of this machine at:
    http://www.heise.de/ct/english/97/07/064/

Everything was about right except this machine does have 3 EISA slots mounted and is running MACOS 7.6 not 7.6.1 unless im reading it wrong. The case sticker does say 1gb but a 2gb disk is installed.

I have had a hard time finding photos of machines from the rear or mother board shots. I don't think this is any of the Tanzania motherboards. I did find a machine claiming to be a viper but it looked like a starmax with a viper sticker. I have never seen a apple prototype with a codename sticker and this machine came with apple docs supporting viper and bloom county with opus.

is this machine unique? I can't seem to find any others like it, then again I had a hard time finding info on clones too.

13. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Correct. CHRP was the hardware standard that the cloners were to build to, kinda like the Toolbox was for app developers. (extremely rough analogy)

Boy, does THAT bring back memories!

14. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Boy do I wish I could find a powermac 8500 new in box. Now that would be a collerctors item.

15. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

This is unique.

No CHRP-based computers were ever released that run the Mac OS. Please note that none of these look like the one shown here.

Here is an old article detailing the end of the clone era, specifically mentioning that Apple wouldn't license the Mac OS to Motorola for use with CHRP-based systems. It would appear that Motorola designed this system to run OS 8, but had to, of course, do the design work before OS 8 was released, so it contains a special CHRP version of 7.6.

This probably has a G3 in it, according to this article. I'm guessing that this was Motorola's G3 system that was axed when Apple killed the clones. (Yes, Apple was *NOT* going to be the first to deliver a G3.) You will notice that this article talks about the StarMax 6000, which isn't listed on LEM's Moto page.

Ah... Here you go! THIS appears to be your system. Or, at least, your system was an early prototype of this. I'd suggest running Apple System Profiler to see what processor you have to be sure, though.

16. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

The best thing to do is take the CPU heatsink off and check the processor type to put this to rest...