Jury duty question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puckhead193, Apr 4, 2010.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

So lucky me I get to be on jury duty. While I'm sitting and waiting does anyone know if I can bring my ipod touch? On the letter it says no cell phones and cameras, but nothing about ipods. What about a DS?
    Also I planned on wearing jeans and polo shirt, is that ok? Or do I NEED to wear dress pants?
    If it matters, its federal court, NOT state :eek:
    What should I expect?

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

Ha, yeah... Probably not wise to try to test it. You're supposed to be doing a job anyway, not playing games.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Rules on iPods depend on the courthouse. In Arlington County, VA they allowed me to bring in an iPod touch but not a cell phone. I'd probably just bring a book to be safe, otherwise you'll have to pay for a locker to keep it in for the day.

You should expect to sit around and do nothing for a long time. If your jury fills before you're called for questioning by the attorneys you get to go home. If you are questioned by the attorneys just answer honestly, and if you don't understand what you're being asked you should say so. It's really not a big deal (other than the waste of a day).

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I got selected once, but i got out of it. But from what i remember when my mum went, you have to look presentable. And you weren't allowed any "electronic" equipment in the court room. eg mobile phones etc

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I've been picked once and no cell phones meant no cell phones. I doubt a DS or Touch would be ok as well. Bring a book and wear slacks and a shirt.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

I was selected last year, but I got out of it because I'm not an American citizen (yet).

But I hear if you tell them that you're racist against everyone, you'll get out of it. ;)

7. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

I remember my jury duty call. It was many hours of waiting just to go in for about 30 minutes or so to find out I haven't been picked and can go home. Which one was the alleged job part?

Sadly this was several years ago when I didn't have a laptop, otherwise I would've brought it with me if they'd let me.

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

I just say my dad is an attorney. Works every time.

9. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

How did you get picked for a jury...?? Federal jurors are picked from voting records...Have you voted..?? :eek:

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That's how my recent jury duty experience was, last year. And they allowed everything, cell phones, laptops, etc. I just don't think you were allowed to take those into the courtroom if you were selected.

11. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Same here. We could do whatever we wanted while we waited, as long as we stayed in the building.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Depends on the judge. The judge I had pretty much had a list of reasons that potential jurors would use. He read them and said not to bother with any of those excuses. Still, the excuses flowed. I don't like jury duty but I do feel as though it's my civic duty.

13. Gregg2 macrumors 603

A real book?
    Oh, maybe so. No Kindle or iPad either??

Great sense of civic duty. I have to report next Monday. If I can be on a jury, it will be my third time. I won't "pull anything" to get off. Just answer the questions honestly. You might be on the higher end of the gene pool represented by the other 11 jurors. Maybe someone needs your influence. What if you were on trial...

14. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Federal court jury duty is more involved than municipal or state court. I got called for the Arthur Anderson case (part of the Enron fallout) a few years back. It was a 5 hour affair and I never made it pass the first round of selection.:p I wouldn't push my luck with jeans (contempt charges and fines ain't fun). I'd definitely go with slacks and long sleeve shirt.
    On the plus side, Federal courts pay a lot more than municipal or state courts and they feed you too.:D Oh, being part of an important case is nice too.;) Thinking back, I wish I had been selected.

15. geekgirl macrumors regular

I have to report Tuesday. :(

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And regarding dress code, on my summons, it said no shorts, so I wore jeans and a polo with tennis shoes. But plenty of people were wearing shorts and sandals, this was back in August when it was nearly 100 degrees outside. If I knew others were wearing shorts, I would have too. IMO, unless the summons you received gives a dress code, I think jeans and a polo would be fine.

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can't get fined for wearing jeans unless it specifically says not to. Jurors are called from all manner of socioeconomic standing, so jeans might be the only thing someone has available.

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yeah, I think the only way to be charged with contempt for what you wear is if you wear a white robe and hood, carrying a copy of Mein Kampf, or aren't wearing anything at all ;)

19. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Sarcasm detected, but just to be the stickler I am you can't get fined for the first two instances either (as long as you de-hood if asked by an official).

20. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

In New Hampshire state court, jury duty last a minimum of 30 days (more if you are on a jury on day 30). You can get picked for multiple trials or spend most of the 30 days waiting all day to be selected for a trial.

21. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Or it might get out of jury duty for being "not of sound mind or good moral character.";) (I'm reading that off my 2nd jury summon this year.)