Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you think Steve Jobs has in plan for the MBA?

• Total voters

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Windows has caught up with OS X. Apple has stopped working on OS X 10.7. What the hell is Apple thinking? I mean not updating its Macs on a timely schedule and then stopping development of the only other reason people buy Macs, OS X. I buy Macs primarily because of the design and OS X. However, OS X is becoming less and less of a real reason in the deal. If competitors can compete with Mac designs, there is no reason to move to the Mac or stay with Apple's Macs. Apple really needs to deliver a revolutionary OS X 10.7... stopping development on it for iPhone OS 4 is a terrible mistake in my opinion. This strategy could truly come back to haunt Apple.
Great points, I concur. The issue which concerns me the most is the neglect of 10.7. I ask myself, is this an indication of Apple making a silent unpublished decision to abandon the PC sooner rather than later? Was his recent interview with Walt Mossberg an indicator?

Apple has just identified itself as a "Mobility Company," and you think it's going to EOL the most MOBILE device that runs OS X? I wouldn't wage much on what Apple does with the MBA, but I would wage a pretty penny that the MBA doesn't get EOL'd. That makes zero sense.
I agree when I apply common sense, however that thinking does not always prevail. I can see the possibility of Apple further morphing itself into an "Entertainment Company, instead of a "Mobility Company".

Apple has to be either taking the Air to the next amazing level with their own chips, or maybe it is EOL for the air as we go the way of the ipad, I'm beginning to fear the later :(
This is my concern as well. The wild success of the somewhat crippled iPad has me concerned. It's a testimony to the power of Apples marketing, Jobs charisma as the Ringmaster, and the general publics love affair with all things "Shiny and Cool".

Only time will tell.

Cheers...

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
I decided to ignore because of the intended insults and personal attacks in multiple posts and threads. It's certainly not worth my time to waste my life on people who don't respect people. From now on when people make these remarks, or call me OR OTHERS names on these forums, I will just stop responding. There has to be a better way to communicate without insulting people; I intend to make this my new policy on these forums. People can debate people without insulting them or calling them names. It has happened several times with calderone, and I am done with that poster.

I completely understand and agree with your point/position and would do the same, but if you say:"[...] I won't respond [...]" in a response, you're not sticking to your point. Just ignore the post(s), and don't waste time on him/them.

And this is why I used the word childish:
If you want to play the "I-will-have-the-last-word-game" with persons you 'obviously' want to ignore, ok... so be it.

Scottsdale said:
One last thing I failed to point out. Jayomat called me "childish" for not wanting to add to the problems here. So we're all "childish" if we wish to condone others that make personal insults and even go so far as to publicly criticize fellow members by stating they have "below grade school level abilities."[/B]

I didn't called YOU, as a person/character, childish, I called your behavior/response childish. And in fact, you didn't condone his response, as you even quoted him.

coast1ja

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2009
You are going to have to pardon my ignorance, but do you care to share where have you seen 1.8" SSD's with a larger capacity than 160 GB? I am particularly interested on the 256 GB, which would make a difference in capacity.

http://ssd.toshiba.com/SSD-product-guide.html

Toshiba, a long-time Apple drive supplier currently makes a 1.8" 256gb SSD that would be perfect for the next MBA. I think even the smaller companies like Kingspec have announced similar offerings. SandForce has even announced a 512gb 1.8" microSATA SSD to be released in Q4 of this year.

Yes, the technology is available.

Scottsdale

Suspended
Sep 19, 2008
U.S.A.
http://ssd.toshiba.com/SSD-product-guide.html

Toshiba, a long-time Apple drive supplier currently makes a 1.8" 256gb SSD that would be perfect for the next MBA. I think even the smaller companies like Kingspec have announced similar offerings. SandForce has even announced a 512gb 1.8" microSATA SSD to be released in Q4 of this year.

Yes, the technology is available.

To add to Coast1ja's post...

The 1.8" 256 GB SSDs have been available for OEM purchase since 4Q 2009. Just because Apple and other PC builders aren't using them doesn't mean the tech isn't available. It is costly to add these to a computer, so it's going to be a luxury brand computer that uses them. What does Dell use in its Adamo line? Those 256 GB SSDs might be 1.8"? Most ultrathin laptops are lower priced and they wouldn't include 256 GB SSDs.

I also am aware that there will be third-party 256 GB SSDs available for the v 2,1 MBAs in maybe as few as three or four months. I would believe that Runcore might also be pursuing something too? That is a guess though, as I have no knowledge of Runcore's intentions. Someone could contact Matt at Runcore and see if they're working on one? Anyways, MBA owners will probably have multiple choices in a few months if they want 256 GB SSDs.

Everyone also needs to understand that a 256 GB SSD will cost as much as the 128 GB SSD cost Apple when it introduced it in October 2008. That means that for Apple to use a 256 GB SSD, Apple is going to have to jack the price up for the MBA. I don't think a 256 GB SSD will be found in an MBA for less than $2k. Apple reduced the price of the SSD MBA in June 2009 by $700, and I think people need to be ready to pay more again if they want a luxury MBA. Apple certainly will want to change strategy back to a higher price point luxury Mac with the next MBA. It just doesn't make sense to go lower cost and compete with the MB and iPad. The price will define the market, and Apple will definitely raise the price if they do anything to the MBA. Since Apple has the iPad for low cost secondary/netbook like entertainment web browsing, Apple will reposition the MBA as a luxury Mac.

jns2001

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
To add to Coast1ja's post...

The 1.8" 256 GB SSDs have been available for OEM purchase since 4Q 2009. Just because Apple and other PC builders aren't using them doesn't mean the tech isn't available. It is costly to add these to a computer, so it's going to be a luxury brand computer that uses them. What does Dell use in its Adamo line? Those 256 GB SSDs might be 1.8"? Most ultrathin laptops are lower priced and they wouldn't include 256 GB SSDs.

I also am aware that there will be third-party 256 GB SSDs available for the v 2,1 MBAs in maybe as few as three or four months. I would believe that Runcore might also be pursuing something too? That is a guess though, as I have no knowledge of Runcore's intentions. Someone could contact Matt at Runcore and see if they're working on one? Anyways, MBA owners will probably have multiple choices in a few months if they want 256 GB SSDs.

Everyone also needs to understand that a 256 GB SSD will cost as much as the 128 GB SSD cost Apple when it introduced it in October 2008. That means that for Apple to use a 256 GB SSD, Apple is going to have to jack the price up for the MBA. I don't think a 256 GB SSD will be found in an MBA for less than $2k. Apple reduced the price of the SSD MBA in June 2009 by $700, and I think people need to be ready to pay more again if they want a luxury MBA. Apple certainly will want to change strategy back to a higher price point luxury Mac with the next MBA. It just doesn't make sense to go lower cost and compete with the MB and iPad. The price will define the market, and Apple will definitely raise the price if they do anything to the MBA. Since Apple has the iPad for low cost secondary/netbook like entertainment web browsing, Apple will reposition the MBA as a luxury Mac.

IF they do upgrade to 256 GB and they have 4 GB of RAM, processor speed with a hair of more performance, I think that I would purchase the SSD and continue with mine.

I have made the extra effort to move to Quicken Essentials (better than nothing), and the only thing that I am not able to run is the MS HD camera, which makes the MBA camera feel like a POS, and the home security system that have MS Windows only software. The Polar heart monitor is already readying itself to OSX.

If I would know that I can copy bit by bit my company's HD to a new SSD (MB Pro), I would buy a 256 2.5" and use it, I think the user experience would be very different. I am really annoyed by its performance.

jns2001

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
To complement things my MBA does not want to play sounds anymore. Here we go for two weeks without it. And now when does the new MBA arrives?

soph

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
With the rumors I have heard/read, I would GUESSTIMATE:
  • 15% chance of MBA with Core CPU at WWDC (if core CPU - 85% sole use of Intel GMA HD/15% discrete GPU).
  • 25% chance of, AT WWDC, C2D/Nvidia 320m, 4 GB RAM, 192/256 GB SSD and something new like a Verizon 3G/4G card.
  • 50% chance of, NOT AT WWDC, a C2D/Nvidia 320m, 4 GB RAM, 192/256 GB SSD, and nothing else.
  • 10% chance of NO UPDATE until Late 2010 or Early 2011.

We can't say we hadn't been warned. :(
So, here's to Scottsdale's 50% guesstimate, and that one within two weeks, if you please :)

gwsat

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2008
Tulsa
looks like scottdale predictions were wrong. no updated air yet. i think the ipad will replace the air

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20007139-248.html?tag=TOCmoreStories.0

see #11
Although I think there is a good chance that the MBA won't be updated this year, I continue to be skeptical about the proposition that Apple will discontinue it. Recall, the same kind of rumors were going around about the Mac mini, until Apple updated it. Then the rumors died. Anyway, this is all crystal ball territory, so no one really knows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.