Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Ruston, Louisiana
I just purchased a 1gb stick of OWC ram and had it installed at a local computer store. The manager was in and decided to take on this task right in the front of the store so I could "watch." So everything is dandy, he gets the door off and takes his time plugging the ram into that awkward little slot. I'm impressed at how easy it was and we discuss the quality of Macintosh products. This is where it gets interesting, he notices that the sleep light is on, I can tell he's a bit nervous he's definitely trying to get me out of the store before I find out that he just burnt my Powerbook. I realized immediately the error he made, he didn't even check to see if the damn thing was on. So he pops the battery out to kill the power supply and screws the ram door back on, once everything is back together, the battery goes back in and we boot up OSX, everything seems fine. I ran Hardware Test when I got home and everything tests fine, it crashed once while running Quicktime. I'm just a little paranoid at this point, can anyone offer peace of mind? Should I take any software based steps to improve my computer and avoid another crash?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Wow...that's a recipe for disaster.

But it seems that you lucked out. There really isn't anything you can do beyond what you've already done. The QuickTime crash is almost certainly unrelated. Just keep an eye on things, and if you have any problems, you know where to take it. But if it's working fine now, I'd imagine you're probably in the clear.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
What laptop are you using. The new ones you have to remove the battery to get to the ram. At least that is how it is on my 17" PB.

Nuc

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Nuc said:
What laptop are you using. The new ones you have to remove the battery to get to the ram. At least that is how it is on my 17" PB.

Nuc

Check his profile...it's a 15" PB. The RAM door is separate from the battery. Of course...hence his description of the events.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
WildCowboy said:
Check his profile...it's a 15" PB. The RAM door is separate from the battery. Of course...hence his description of the events.
Ahh ok. I just figured the ram was under the battery in the Aluminum PB. But I guess that is not the case.

Thanks,

Nuc

onthat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Ruston, Louisiana
The crash I referred to was an entire system crash, I just happened to be watching a quicktime movie when it happened. Nothing would respond trackpad, keyboard, all dead...but the screen was still on and a really annoying sound was coming from the speakers. Are their any necessary procedures following a ram install?

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
No all that is needed after ram is installed is for it to be powered up. If I were you I would run the hardware test a few times in a row. Also the ram you got could be bad. Or the guy messed it up. I would let them know (the manager) your having problems so that their aware of it.

Nuc

onthat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Ruston, Louisiana
So far I'm up to 2 crashes, I'm gonna run hardware test again. Should I be prepared to send it in for apple repair or make those responsible pay for it?

onthat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 26, 2006
Ruston, Louisiana
I think the ram is faulty, I noticed that the computer only crashes when the system taps into that new gig...I'm calling apple tomorrow to find out more about the problem and what to do from here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.