Just a couple of quick questions

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by DeluxeWarPlaya, Dec 18, 2011.

1. DeluxeWarPlaya macrumors newbie

Recently acquired a free 3gs. First time iPhone user.

Is there any way to prevent my iphone from asking to update carrier settings (baseband)? If so, how? I couldn't find anything in the FAQ's, tutorials or google for that matter.

I've got 1 SHSH blob backed up to my HD for 4.1. How do I extract the blob for latest iOS version in preparation for a pending jailbreak by dev teams?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Carrier settings are not the baseband. Carrier settings can be installed without a fear of lose a jailbreak or unlockability. Use TinyUmbrella.

3. DeluxeWarPlaya thread starter macrumors newbie

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that the iPhone needs to be on the latest firmware for TinyUmbrella to extract it from the device itself. Not particularly fond of doing this.

4. rrandyy macrumors 6502

You're mistaken. Tinyumbrella can save the 5.0.1 shsh even if you are on 4.x

5. DeluxeWarPlaya thread starter macrumors newbie

just upgraded to ios 5.0.1 and now...

I recieved a message in iTunes after the restore with a custom IPSW built by redsn0w to preserve the baseband saying "Congratulations you have successfully unlocked your iPhone"

I noticed I didn't need to install ultrasn0w to use my SIM (it just started working). Does this mean I don't need to worry about preserving the baseband in future now and I can rely on Apples unlock?

6. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Yes

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Correct, you have a factory unlocked Iphone. You can do whatever you want with your phone, restore/update to the latest firmware and it will remain unlocked.

8. noiceT macrumors 6502a

Wow, that's a nice freebie to get...factory unlocked 3GS. Not too shabby~