Just a few more virus questions

macgeek77

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2006
Just wondering:

1) Is it possible for viruses/spyware from your digital cable TV (if the digital cable can even hold them) and travel to your computer via a cable internet connection?

2) Can digital video cameras get viruses/spyware from recording tv programs or connecting to computers?

*by viruses, I mean Windows or Mac

Thanks!

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Just wondering:

1) Is it possible for viruses/spyware from your digital cable TV (if the digital cable can even hold them) and travel to your computer via a cable internet connection?

2) Can digital video cameras get viruses/spyware from recording tv programs or connecting to computers?

Thanks!
For all intents and purposes, the answer to both questions is no.

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
You guys have just jinxed all the cameras, set top boxes and cable internet technologies in the world.

I blame you all for the downfall of the internet. ;)

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Just wondering:

Thanks!
1) TV's play streaming video. They don't have any serious operating system capable of executing code. There's no way for a TV to execute a virus, so no, TVs can't get viruses, and no, they can't go to a computer.

2) LOL! No, viruses are programs. How could a camera get a virus from recording a TV show? It's not a program that can be executed. As far as connecting to computers, again, no, cause the camera can't execute anything.

3) There are no viruses that affect Mac OS X in the wild. Only viruses that affect Windows.

colocolo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2002
Santiago, Chile
Just wondering:

Thanks!

1) No.

2) Only from recording Oprah, Geraldo or the likes.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
Most digital cable boxes down really run an OS, and usually only use the internet for updates. So no :D
I wasn't aware of any video cameras that could access the internet, or that ran an OS advanced enough to get a virus. Unless you put an infected media in your camera, and were running some form of system, the answer would be no.
Sorry if my answers make no sense, i don't know a whole lot about video cameras