Just a few more virus questions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macgeek77, Jul 30, 2007.

1. macgeek77 macrumors regular

Just wondering:

1) Is it possible for viruses/spyware from your digital cable TV (if the digital cable can even hold them) and travel to your computer via a cable internet connection?

2) Can digital video cameras get viruses/spyware from recording tv programs or connecting to computers?

*by viruses, I mean Windows or Mac

Thanks!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

4. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

For all intents and purposes, the answer to both questions is no.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Absolutely No.

But I bet Norton could expand they're market by creating a useless product and then scaring people into buying it.

6. harveypooka macrumors 65816

You guys have just jinxed all the cameras, set top boxes and cable internet technologies in the world.

I blame you all for the downfall of the internet. ;)

7. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

1) TV's play streaming video. They don't have any serious operating system capable of executing code. There's no way for a TV to execute a virus, so no, TVs can't get viruses, and no, they can't go to a computer.

2) LOL! No, viruses are programs. How could a camera get a virus from recording a TV show? It's not a program that can be executed. As far as connecting to computers, again, no, cause the camera can't execute anything.

3) There are no viruses that affect Mac OS X in the wild. Only viruses that affect Windows.

9. colocolo macrumors 6502

1) No.

2) Only from recording Oprah, Geraldo or the likes.

10. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Most digital cable boxes down really run an OS, and usually only use the internet for updates. So no :D
    I wasn't aware of any video cameras that could access the internet, or that ran an OS advanced enough to get a virus. Unless you put an infected media in your camera, and were running some form of system, the answer would be no.
    Sorry if my answers make no sense, i don't know a whole lot about video cameras