Just a few things

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Washac, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Washac, Apr 25, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2014

Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Recently had to revert to another drive due to problems with my 10.6.8 drive :(

I have Mountain Lion on this drive which all seemed to work OK until the other night when I decided to install Mavericks on it.

I get the spinning beachball sometimes but not every time when clicking on other drives to open them, even when I click on things like Documents or my Home directory in the Go menu. When this happens I have to reboot. Once restarted I tried to use Disk Utility, that does not work either, I opened Disk Utility and it just sat there with the spinning beachball saying it is gathering drives.

Just got a new drive arrive through the post, oh well look like a new install of Mountain Lion, or do I stick with Mavericks and see what any updates bring.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If your Mac was working okay with ML and now has this problem with Mavericks, it is very likely you have some piece of software installed that is causing this.

Try doing a safe mode boot and see if it works better. Safe mode does to launch any login or startup items, so if the problem goes away in safe mode that tells you one of your launch items is causing the issue.

Another good troubleshooting idea is to make a new, temp admin account and see if the issue persists while in that account. If the problem goes away, that tells you it is something specific to your account causing the problem.

3. Washac thread starter macrumors 68020

Washac

Thanks for the information, I use safe mode at the moment as well on another boot drive I have. I new about the creating another account, but always forget about doing it when problems arise.

Those problems I mentioned have not happened today, fingers crossed.