Just a few thoughts a Apple watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bmac4, Mar 13, 2015.

1. bmac4 macrumors 68040

bmac4

So I have been doing some thinking. I am a big Apple fan, and I love my iPhone 6+. I have been waiting on a great smartwatch to go with it. I have had a Pebble Steel for just over a year now, and it's a really good watch, but it not as solid as what I was thinking the Apple watch could be. Having something that would be integrated very well with iOS is what I was looking for. When Cook introduced us to the Apple watch in September. I had really high hopes for it. It's looked good, and it the strap designed seemed like it had a lot of customization.

Now 6 months later I am left thinking what the Apple watch could have been. Don't get me wrong I am getting an Apple watch, but I have to say I am disappointed. The biggest thing for me is the price. I know Apple is known for build quality, and I think the Apple Watch is a really nicely built watch. The thing is this is not a designer watch. Apple may think they have built one, but it's not. They have priced it like they think it is, but let's face it. It's a tech watch. Sure it looks good, but some high profile lawyer is not wearing one of these things everyday.

The pricing is just insane. I don't care what anyone says. The pricing is stupid. I don't care how much time, and how much design went into the bands. Again this is not a designer watch, so don't make bands that are designer style bands. The bands can't be the only thing that drove the price up. The sport version is $350 with a rubber band as the strap. That is $100 more than any other android wear smartwatch, and honestly I do not see $100 more in build quality and design in the Apple watch. I think Apple margins on these things are insane.

Now to the innovation. I am use to Apple knocking it out of the park in this area. Sure they are known for waiting and doing it better. The first iPhone did not do anything any other smartwatch had done before. It just did it better. I really do not see this as the case with the Apple watch. It does not add any killer feature, and I can't see what is does better than the Pebble and android wear. You get notifications on your watch that you can deal with right there. There are some cool apps, but honestly what does it do that android wear does not do just as well? I just expect more from Apple. Especially at this price point. It should be miles ahead of android wear for the asking price, and it's just not.

Like I said before I am getting one, but the sole reasoning being that I want a smartwatch that is built for the iPhone. My pebble is good, but I would like to see something that is built right into iOS. That is what the Apple watch does. I am just really disappointed, and feel like Apple left a lot on the table. I know people always say they leave features off so they have something for the next version. I just don't feel this is the problem with the Apple watch. It feels like Apple missed the point of the smartwatch. Yeah it needs to look good, but more importantly it needs to make using it with a smartphone a better experience. I think they were too concerned with trying to make it a designer watch, but yet they were not even able to do that. I know sales will be crazy, but I don't think this is Apples best work.

Let me know what you guys think. I am sure I will have some people telling me how wrong I am, but I really do feel Apple missed this one.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

As a Pebble owner myself I'm surprised at your statement. The Pebble watch is a dummy terminal. You can't even interact with the notifications you get on the Pebble aside from dismissing them. I'm also unsure why you are comparing Android Wear watches when they don't even work with the iPhone.

Even if Apple made the greatest Smart Watch in the world I don't think people would be willing to dump their Android phones and buy a new iPhone just to get an Apple watch. We're talking minimum of $550.00 just to get a subsidized iPhone with a Sport Apple watch.

3. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

Sorry I did not mean Pebble could interact with notifications. I was referring to android wear. The reason I brought up android wear was because its the only thing you can compare to the Apple watch. I am not saying people will dump there android phones and watches for the Apple watch. I don't think that will happen at all.

4. DravenGSX macrumors 6502a

It's $50 more expensive than the Moto 360. I have no doubt that it is built better than the Android Wear watches and well worth the $50 premium. The Sport watch is priced right. The Edition shouldn't even be a part of this conversation.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

It's kind of pointless to compare the Apple watch to another smart watch that doesn't work with the iPhone isn't it?

Right now as it stands the only other watch that works with the iPhone is the Pebble and it's nowhere near as good.

Even when Android wear watches do become compatible with iOS they will still not get special treatment by iOS like the Apple watch companion app does.

6. fitshaced macrumors 68000

fitshaced

The Fenix works with the iPhone and has features that the Apple Watch does not along with superior battery life. There's probably more of a compromise with the Apple Watch.

7. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I don't really mind the way pebble is a "dummy terminal". I personally think the smartwatch is best used for simple tasks like receiving texts/calls, transport controls for music, weather ect. I use my pebble of consuming information not creating it or intensive tasks. I'm kind of surprised apple is going in the direction is has with some of the apps they debuted. Many of the apps they showed are just better suited to the phone you'll already have in your pocket.

I think the apple watch/android wear are fair comparisons. That's like saying you can't compared the ipad to the galaxy tab. Just cause it doesn't work with an iPhone doesn't mean they aren't both smartwatches that will be competing against one another in innovation.

8. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

The problem I have with my pebble is I have to reach for my phone every time I need to reply to a text message. At least with the apple watch you reach for your phone less

9. twisted-pixel macrumors 6502a

twisted-pixel

but you get to choose whether you need to reach for your phone or not. A quick glance and you can read the message, which in a lot of cases might just be a simple 'OK' and doesn't actually need a response.

10. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

I hear you on price of the high end Stainless Steel but I think $350 for a Sport model is very good.

I am curious what more do you want the Apple Watch to do?

11. KPOM macrumors G5

This looks like something a woman might wear. That's what it got right, and it's a huge deal. No, not every woman will like this, but enough will. You can't say that about what came before it.

12. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think (hope) that eventually Apple plans to develop the watch platform into a standalone device that doesn't require a phone in your pocket. To me, it seems that a lot of their choices make more sense if you look at it that way. Or perhaps it's just wishful thinking on my part?

13. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

All my text messages I have to respond to. Even a simple ok is not possible on the pebble without a dedicated app.

14. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

No the Moto 360 with a leather band is $250.00. Also it comes with a very nice leather band. The Sport comes with a rubber band, and unless third party companies make bands for the sport. The rubber one is all that looks good with the sport. So no I do not believe $350 is justified. You can get a lot more for less else where. The aluminum on the Apple watch sport is nothing special, so I am not sure the build is that much better.

----------

That is like saying it's pointless to compare android phone to iPhones. Sure android phones don't run iOS, but they do serve the same purpose. Android wear is doing the same thing as the Apple Watch. It's showing you notifications and allowing you to respond to them. Each has their way of doing that, but at their core they do the same things. How is that pointless to compare?

----------

Well the problem I have with the Sport at $350 is that you are pretty much stuck with one band. I know it will work with other bands, but they have the SS finish on the connector. Unless third parties come up with new bands you are stuck with a rubber band. Most other smertwatches offer more for less in terms of bands. I wear business clothes everyday, so I don't want to watch that has a rubber band on it. I want a nice leather strap or metal link. That means I need to go with the SS. The SS version is the most versatile, but I think it's way over priced. I would have like to see some more value for the money. I know Apple is not know for value, but normally you get good quality stuff for a large price. While the Apple watch is nice and well built. What you get for the money just does not seem to add up to me.

15. Zaft macrumors 68030

Zaft

I have a pebble steel, I would not mind a way to quick reply with simple words. "ok, no, yes".

But I would not want to actually type a sentence on the thing. Too cumbersome.

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

-If you are in the market for a new phone you can buy an iPhone or an Android phone of your choice.
    - If you already own a phone you are limited by what smart watch you can buy that will work with your phone unless you switch phones also.

Apple's watch companion app is baked into iOS. This means it is given system level privileges such as the app can never be closed by iOS to recover memory if its idle and if it is closed by the user it will reopen itself. Other apps that get this special treatment are phone, messages and Mail.

If and when Android wear watches will work with iOS the integration will not be as tight.

I just took a look at the Moto 360 site.

- It comes only in 1 size, 1 material (stainless steel) and 3 colors.
    - Bands are limited to 22mm and 24mm and only come in 2 kinds (leather or metal)
    - Not sure why they ask you to choose a face. Are faces not changeable?

Apple has much more options to offer than the Moto.

17. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426278472.163456.jpg

It comes with a choice of 3 colored leather bands or a SS band which cost $50 more. You can get a gold, black, or silver face. Yes there are more choices with Apple watch, but it cost a lot more. I have the brown Moto 360 Horween leather band on my Pebble steel (look at my profile picture), and it super nice. Will these $150- $250 Apple leather bands be that much nicer?

Again I am getting the Apple watch for the sole fact of what you said. The watch companion app is baked right into iOS. That is the main reason. If not for that I would look at other options.

18. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

The band on moto 360 looks like one thick slice of leather, and the part that is in contact with skin is the rough side of leather. The Apple leather bands, I believe, are two thin slices of leather put together, so both sides of the band are smooth.

I think that makes for a nicer wrist band. Whether it's worth the extra $$ is up to you.

19. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

Nope that is wrong. As I stated in my last post I have the brown leather strap for my pebble. It is very smooth on the inside of the band. Not rough at all. It's also very thick, and made very well. I have no idea how the Apple ones are made, but they are not worth $150-$250 for sure.

20. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, I can tell that the rough side has been smoothed out, but it's the rough side. And like you say, it's thick -- which is easier to make than thin leather, and therefore less expensive. (Well, it's easy to make thin leather that's weak, but making thin leather that also stands up to use is hard.)

I can't disagree with you if you say that the Apple leather bands aren't worth $150-250 TO YOU. But other people are going to consider them well worth it.

21. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

Ok well I am not sure what to tell you. I have said I own the Moto 360 brown leather band, and there is nothing rough about the side that touches your arm. You can choose to believe me or not I really don't care. It's a very nice leather band, and has been holding up really nicely. If you would like to continue to keep telling me it's rough that is cool too.

I am sure people will say it's worth it, but it's more about it being Apple than anything. Look at the iPhone leather cases. Yeah they are nice, but are they $50 nice? Not a chance. I have a couple because I like the way they look, but it's not value for money. I know there will always be people that will argue that whatever Apple makes is worth it, and the best quality.

The problem I have is that Apple has been a leader in the tech industry, but now they are trying to tell us they are a luxury watch maker. How are they a tech company, and a luxury watch maker? I just can't believe Apple is making leather and metal bands that are the quality of $150+. There are companies that focus only on making watches that makes great watched that the bands don't cost that much. The prices just blow my mind.

22. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Keep in mind that the Apple bands also come with the steel clip on parts, as well as buckles that are custom designed and not from the parts bin. Ben Clymer over on Hodinkee said that the level of detail and finish in the Apple straps is what really sets them apart, and he should know. I bought one of his shell cordovan straps made by Horween, and that thing was also $150.

I will say, though, the leather band is the only thing about the Moto 360 that I think looks nice. The leather is nice, and made by Horween, but not all Horween leathers are equal. It doesn't hold a candle to some of my other Horween straps.

23. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I'm not disbelieving you that it feels smooth. But it's still one piece of leather instead of two pieces put together. You might say that the extra work of slicing the leather into extra-thin pieces so they can be fit together to make both sides extra-smooth isn't worth it. And maybe it isn't. But enough people are willing to pay extra for it, so that's what the market is.

24. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

I honestly don't get the way overpriced comments. You haven't even touched one yet how can you determine that it is overpriced?

Apple have never been a company to price themselves to the bottom of the market so I don't get the surprise over the price. I have tried on a moto 360 and I would wager that the aluminum apple watch will feel like much nicer built watch than the 360, it felt cheap to me.

As for being a premium watchmaker it makes the most sense in the smart watch market, if you don't go for fashion and a premium feel then you are never going to gain mass appeal in that space. I know a ton of non tech people that will most likely get an apple watch that would never get any of the android wear watches.

25. bmac4 thread starter macrumors 68040

bmac4

As I guess you can tell I don't know a ton about the straps Apple has made. Maybe they are priced just right for the quality. If that is the case then I will go back to my original post. Why? Why did Apple go to such an extreme with the Apple watch? I know they are always about quality, and I love that. This just seems to go beyond good quality.

----------

No I have no touched it. But I don't care what anyone's says. This is not a product that will sale to fine watch buyers, or for that matter business men that are not big tech fans. It will sell to women, and tech guys like me. Apple has priced these watches like the target market is fine watch collectors. It's not at all that. Next year there will be a new better one. Apple and a lot of people here don't seem to get that people that buy Rolex, Tag, or any other the other quilt watch makers are not buying an Apple watch that will not have appeal in 2 years. All the other watches last a life time.

You and I will buy this because we are tech people, and I want something that is integrated with iOS. Had that been Apples idea we would have never seen a Watch edition, $1050 space black option. We would have seen a starting price of $250, and then maybe $600 for the top of the line. I don't doubt for a minute the quality of the watch and the bands. When I say overpriced, I am talking about smartwatch category in general. These are not smartwatch prices.