just a good way to waste money?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by davisac, Oct 15, 2008.

1. davisac macrumors member

Ok Im stuck between the refurbished MBP 2.4 or 2.5.

Its $150 more to go to the 2.5 and larger hard drive/more video ram. Is it worth that price? Ive looked at the other threads on here and they said its not worth $500 but being as this is refurb it isnt quite so much. Id like to be able to keep it for 4-5yrs if i can. Ill only be doing normal things (web, documents, some sound editing i think). So should i spend the $150? thanks

2. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

I think that's a great question - and I would probably say that while it's not a waste of money, it's not worth it.

256mb to 512mb in video card is neglible with performance (barefeats.com)
    you'd be getting .1 ghz
    50GB hard drive.

I think the mbp for 1349 will hold it's value a little better too.

3. davisac thread starter macrumors member

will either the 2.4 or 2.5 still be going after 4+yrs? Going as in still able to comfortably run the programs?

4. eidrunner247 macrumors 6502

Of course. The newer machines will always run "faster" but if you tolerate a transition to render in 34 seconds as opposed to 30 seconds, then you'll be okay.

5. davisac thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks guess ill be saving the $150 so something down the road maybe

6. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

My first PowerBook G3 500 is still running (10.2.?). My wife still uses it everyday for internet, email and Word.

My G4 12" PB is 5 years old...

So why wouldn't an Intel 2.4 or 2.5 be running in 4 or 5 years if taken care of properly?

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But Apple tends to put limits on things with some of their Pro apps, look at some of the specs already requiring 256MB graphics card.

Shouldn't be long to where the advanced features/filters might require 512MB graphics cards, especially with the Snow Cat around the corner.

If you aren't a Pro, nor really care about some of the intensive filters -- then the standard cards should suffice.