Just a goofy question about passwords and the App Store...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dale Sorel, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

OK, I haven't bought anything through the Mac App Store except for Lion, which I did last month. Now my question is: while I have the app store open on my iMac, if I click the little price icon, and then I click buy app, will it just start downloading automatically or will it ask for my password. I am logged in with my Apple account, as when I click the Store menu you can see my account info next to view my account. Speaking of which, if I select view my account it does prompt me for a password, and gives me the option to sign out. I'm just curious, not that anyone has access to my computer, but I'm just wondering how easy it is to buy apps.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It Will

Ask for your password....Everytime you make a purchase it needs to be entered....Sometimes username too :)

3. Dale Sorel thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

So I can safely click on buy app and nothing will happen until I enter my password?

4. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Usually Apple can't read your mind. Without an authentication it doesn't have an account to charge. :)

5. Dale Sorel thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

But that's the thing, they do have an account to charge as my username is already entered. As I said, it does ask for a password if I click view account. So does that mean if I click Buy Now it will ask for my password as well?

6. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Yes. Try it on a free app or an update, in order to make any change to your applications the App Store will require authentication from the user.

btw you might want to update your website ;)

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

True

It even asks for your password when downloading free apps....This can be a bit strange at first, but you'll get used to it...We have :D

8. Dale Sorel thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Now that's something I didn't think to try!

I know, I even checked a link in Safari and they're not working very well.