Just a guesss on user-replaceable HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HawaiiMacAddict, Oct 16, 2008.

1. HawaiiMacAddict macrumors 6502a

Aloha everyone,

From what I've read thus far, the new MBP and MP both take SATA HDDs, and Apple has made it surprisingly easy to reach them. I wonder if, now that 2.5" 500GB SATA HDDs are available, we could just buy one from OWC and slap it in.

I mean, Apple will charge you an additional $150 for a bump up to only 320GB - you can get that from OWC for less than $100, also at 5400RPM, although there are some 7200RPM models as well.

Has anyone read of Apple using any "special" HDDs in the new MBP/MBs? I can see the new MBP as an iMac replacement and am interested in expanded storage options.

:apple:HawaiiMacAddict

2. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

I have a 500GB drive out for delivery today from NewEgg (as well as 2x2GB ram). I expect to go pick up a new MacBook tonight. I'll let you know how the upgrade goes. :)

3. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

ya any hard drive that will physically fit will work...

4. Coldwater macrumors member

Nah, no special parts. They use stock drives, not sure if it was Hitachi or not but it rings a bell. You can certainly add any 2.5", I believe people added some 500GB drives to the old MBP as well.

And about the price: they charge a HELL of a lot less then they used to, at least through the ADC store. I went with the 2.8Ghz model and the 320GB 7200 RPM drive was only $40 more.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it's a Hitachi.

6. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

They should take a standard 9.5mm sata drive. The Hitachi 500GB is 12.x mm and only fits the 17"

7. portishead macrumors 65816

8. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Apple hardware may be prettier than other hardware, but every Mac at its core is just a normal computer.

Hard drives are interchangable, as well as RAM and a lot of other components. Apple only covers upgrades and components that they know for sure will work with their hardware, so they discourage users to do self-upgrades with third-party parts.

Pft, this Apple store rep tried to tell me that Apple RAM was special and only Apple RAM would work with my MBP... When I asked him about price, he told me "It's only $100 per gig!".

Fail. o_O

I am happy with my 4GB for $50... lol.

But yeah, back to your question, yes, any 2.5" SATA drive should work in a MacBook Pro. You just gotta do a little shopping around and decide which one is right for you and if you have any experience doing computer upgrades, it should be a cinch on the new MBPs.

9. consumedsoul macrumors regular

Western Digital or Samsung

Which would you guys go with, the WD Scorpio Blue 500GB or Samsung Spinpoiont M6 500GB?

10. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

I went with the WD drive myself. It is pretty quiet and I'm happy with it.