Just a hypothetical...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TechGod, Oct 11, 2015.

1. TechGod, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015

TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Do you think that by the time that AMD launches Zen+, that Apple may switch to them? Stuff like how AMD has already released an HSA compliant APU and will probably make all their stuff HSA compliant may push Apple since Intel hasn't said much. I think Zen will also become massively more efficient as well as AMD is ditching CMT in favour of SMT which should boost per clock performance up and allow AMD to cut down on the number of cores they use.

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Unlikely. Apple seems to have very deep ties with Intel. Further, even if AMD put out amazing chips, they don't have Intel's manufacturing process to build it on. For that reason, Intel will remain securely in first place for the foreseeable future.

3. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Thanks for the answer. It's rather unfortunate. AMD needs to stay alive and securing such a big customer like Aplle is only ever a good thing for us consumers.

Since Global Foundries is controlled by AMD (or they at lest have a lot of influence over them) could they providing they make a big enough profit, invest in GF and get them to modernise their manufacturing process?

4. leman macrumors 604

If AMD is able to deliver a better performance per clock than Intel, why not? But so far AMDs idea of performance seems to involve packing a lot of weak CPUs together so that it looks good in parallel computation benchmarks. Intel CPUs are much better suited for everyday computation tasks. If AMD's new architecture can solve this fundamental problem, it would be great.

5. leman macrumors 604

Manufacturing process is one thing. Having a good microarchitecture is another one. The reason why AMD is struggling right now is because their CPU designs are inferior to Intel ones, plain and simple (which was not always the case). You can't solve this by simply investing more money. It needs development time, talented engineers and scientists, as well as some luck.

6. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

But the Zen core aims to improve single core performance and not relying on multi core CPUs for good performance. As I outlined in my OP, they're switching from clustered multi threading to simultaneous multi threading. This will boost performance and efficiency to a whole new for AMD and make them competitive in the top tier.

7. leman macrumors 604

I fail to see how just implementing SMT will boost their performance. For that, they need a core that is twice the performance of what they have now in the first place. That is the main advantage of Intel: their CPUs are simply twice as efficient (if not more) as AMD ones on the core-to-core basis. And it has nothing to do with SMT, which is essentially just a method to hide latency.

8. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen_(microarchitecture)

Its 14nm as well. Plus it'll offer a 40% boost in ipc over previous gen chips from Intel. http://www.techpowerup.com/212315/amd-zen-offers-a-40-ipc-increase-over-excavator.html

May not blow Intel out the water but definitely increase competition in the CPU market which is sorely needed.

9. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Oh and http://www.techpowerup.com/216541/a...umber-crunching-machinery-to-predecessor.html

10. leman macrumors 604

You probably mean 'previous gen chips from AMD' ;) Given that current Intel offerings are around 30-50% better, that will give AMD parity with last-year Intel chips (in the best case, probably lower in real world). Essentially, it seems that AMD is trying to reimplement the Core architecture. Maybe they will get lucky.

11. TechGod thread starter macrumors 68040

TechGod

Oops. :p yeah. I meant previous gen chips from AMD. I'm just so excited and I hope this is the chip they saves them. I'll definitely be buying a Zen chip when I can for my gaming PC I wanna build. Of course using an AMD Fury card with HBM2.

12. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Global Flounderies - pretty building with lots of new tools. That is all.