Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
This may be common knowledge for some but I see a lot of people pissed about screen protectors when applying them and getting dust under the screen, which causes bubbles.

Don't worry about it, make your first priority getting the shield on and aligned how you want it.

When you are done and it is centered perfectly, take a piece of scotch tape about 2 inches long and place half of it directly on top of the screen shield (it should be pretty sticky scotch tape, the matte stuff isn't usually sticky enough). Once you have pressed half of that 2 inches on the shield, get another small piece of tape ready in the other hand.

With one hand, lift up on the tape you have pressed on the shield (the other half that is hanging over the edge) and slowly lift up the screen protector enough to get to the underside, and with the other hand use the tape you have to blot and grab the pieces of dust that are stuck on the screen shield.

Basically you are lifting the shield up with the tape to avoid getting finger grease and prints on the bottom side, and while lifted the other piece of tape easily removes annoying annoying dust spots.

I do this until I get every little speck and always end up with a dustless, bubbleless application.

timothevs

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
FL
That does sound like a good idea. I will give it a try this evening. Have been burned by the loss of too many screen protectors.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Good post, ive always used tape to get the dust from under the screen protector.

WhoDatWayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
Michigan
This may be common knowledge for some but I see a lot of people pissed about screen protectors when applying them and getting dust under the screen, which causes bubbles.

Don't worry about it, make your first priority getting the shield on and aligned how you want it.

When you are done and it is centered perfectly, take a piece of scotch tape about 2 inches long and place half of it directly on top of the screen shield (it should be pretty sticky scotch tape, the matte stuff isn't usually sticky enough). Once you have pressed half of that 2 inches on the shield, get another small piece of tape ready in the other hand.

With one hand, lift up on the tape you have pressed on the shield (the other half that is hanging over the edge) and slowly lift up the screen protector enough to get to the underside, and with the other hand use the tape you have to blot and grab the pieces of dust that are stuck on the screen shield.

Basically you are lifting the shield up with the tape to avoid getting finger grease and prints on the bottom side, and while lifted the other piece of tape easily removes annoying annoying dust spots.

I do this until I get every little speck and always end up with a dustless, bubbleless application.

This process works very well! I had the girl had the Apple store put mind on because I have ZERO patience when it comes to putting such on. She performed this same process to perfection.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008

thats how the genius transfers them if you get it swapped with one on (at least the ones at my apple store. At another store they claimed they couldn't be switched at all, which I knew wasn't true)

this is a great way to remove them too, if your having trouble

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
Another trick is to use the WEIGHT of the screen protector to let it fall correctly. Align the earpiece opening and let the case fall, and it should blow most of the dust out as it moves the air and falls.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.