Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Yeah, I'm bored at work. ;) This is the Ron Popiel set it and forget it method.

People complain about installing skins on an Iphone because let's be honest, it can be a bitch and a true test of patience.

I do these installs all the time for people (have easily done over 20 for Iphone alone) and one tip that produces perfect results EVERY time is to use Saran Wrap.

Get your skin on, align it how you like it and make sure the entire back of the phone is squeegeed off and there are no bubbles. Don't even worry about the corners, sides and top and bottom, make your goal to get the back nice and flat and all the water out. Also do a test to make sure the sides are even on both sides, you can tell by comparing both sides of the chrome to make sure both sides go up as high.

When the corners, sides, top and bottom start to get sticky, take them and slowly get them to stick Press each corner into your palm for 30 seconds and get the corners pieces, sides and bottom and top where you want them, they should be stuck, but don't worry if they aren't fully adhered, as long as the alignment is where it should be. I would say at least 20 minutes before using the saran wrap.

The best way to apply these skins is once you get the corner flaps to just stick in place, use saran wrap to tightly wrap your phone for about 15-20 minutes and the sides, top, bottom and corners practically infuse with the phone. Seriously, the saran wrap does such an amazing job getting that stuff to stick without having to babysit the damn corners all night. It pushes it down so good you almost can't see it. Without the saran wrap plan on tending to those flaps for some time.

The saran wrap really pushes the shield down and the results are perfect. You can use less saran wrap than I did. heh

Here are some pics:

3547000963_aefff7e22e.jpg

3547001013_afab389a12.jpg

3547809600_f0f9667682.jpg

After saran wrap:

3547809662_c6837fdabb.jpg

3547001107_4b7a22558b.jpg

This is actually an invisible shield install (ignore the dust, it looks perfect) but personally I have a BSE on my phone. The saran wrap not only makes this easier but it really makes the skin last longer because it does such an amazing job of keeping the skin nice and tight to the phone during the curing process.

I usually just take the phone and place it in a square size piece of saran wrap, first fold the saran wrap TIGHTLY around each of the four corners, then do the sides, top and bottom, folding in from all directions. Pull the saran wrap as tight as you can without ripping it.

Good luck.

sk2sep2304

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
I quit with trying to perfectly install those skins. I just went with a bse simple back.

egk69

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2008
You can use less saran wrap than I did. heh

3547809600_f0f9667682.jpg

AAHAHHAHAHA! i was wondering why you said that, cause on the 1st and 2nd didnt see like you used THAT much, then i saw that picture! hehehe :D

THANKS 4 The Tip...

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Really? I've done this countless times and it's never stuck. I would suggest just peeling it slow and carefully.

zdblue11

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2009
spray some water on fingertips in order to get rid of those fingerprints when installing

briang191

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2009
i did this but now the saran wrap is stuck! Any tips on removing the saran wrap?

any updates on this? did you get the saran wrap off with no issues? How much saran wrap did you use?

Ferris23

Do you recommend spraying a very generous amount of the applicator when installing both the front and back part of the skin?

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
any updates on this? did you get the saran wrap off with no issues? How much saran wrap did you use?

Ferris23

Do you recommend spraying a very generous amount of the applicator when installing both the front and back part of the skin?

Yes actually, be careful on the front though. I always make my own solution of a drop of dishsoap and cold water in a dish. The key really is to get the skin aligned and forget about it for 15-20 minutes until the solution starts to dry.

remaindead

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
Really? I've done this countless times and it's never stuck. I would suggest just peeling it slow and carefully.

how long do you keep it on for?

i kept the saran wrap on my zagg IS for a day and like now there are bits that are stuck. seriously anytips? or was i supposed to take it off like after 15 minutes

briang191

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2009
Yes actually, be careful on the front though. I always make my own solution of a drop of dishsoap and cold water in a dish. The key really is to get the skin aligned and forget about it for 15-20 minutes until the solution starts to dry.

do you dunk the skin in the bowl of water?

em5photog

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Colorado
I have put on a few skins myself never wrapped it up. My tip when it comes to the corners don't touch them till the skin starts to dry some once the dry some it make them a little tacky and they stick much better and easier. I push the corner in the palm of my hand for maybe 30 sec or so and they come out perfect I have reviewed the bestskinsever on my blog plus put some tips on there and a video how easy it comes off check it out blog

tryppy

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2007
i did this but now the saran wrap is stuck! Any tips on removing the saran wrap?

Absolutely ruined my IS by using Saran Wrap. Stuck to it like white on rice. There was nothing I could do to save the IS. I "shaved" most of it off with a kitchen knife. I must say, I was VERY surprised at how well the IS held up with me going at it with a sharp knife.

The only thing I could do was remove the film completely and use a spare I had.

It must be dependant on the type of Saran Wrap that is used.

This is something I will 100% never try again. It's not hard to get the IS perfect by using the general instructions provided.

Edit: Didn't use much Saran. Only enough to wrap it once and a bit. It only stuck to the back of the phone. Seriously. Looked like a horror film when I was trying to remove it. It was left on overnight. Perhaps the reason but this is was I initially read from a user back when i tried it.

briang191

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2009
Absolutely ruined my IS by using Saran Wrap. Stuck to it like white on rice. There was nothing I could do to save the IS. I "shaved" most of it off with a kitchen knife. I must say, I was VERY surprised at how well the IS held up with me going at it with a sharp knife.

This is something I will 100% never try again. It's not hard to get the IS perfect by using the general instructions provided.

Edit: Didn't use much Saran. Only enough to wrap it once and a bit. It only stuck to the back of the phone. Seriously. Looked like a horror film when I was trying to remove it. It was left on overnight. Perhaps the reason but this is was I initially read from a user back when i tried it.

wow now im getting nervous using the saran wrap method. When I first saw a youtube video on this it seemed like a great idea. now that i read others having issues. Its making me think twice about saran wrap. My BGZ will be arriving today.

tryppy

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2007
wow now im getting nervous using the saran wrap method. When I first saw a youtube video on this it seemed like a great idea. now that i read others having issues. Its making me think twice about saran wrap. My BGZ will be arriving today.

I don't blame you. Trust me. Mine was a horror story. But the screen held up perfectly with grinding the saran off with a knife. I can't say for sure if it's dependant on the type of Saran used, but from my experience, I wouldn't use it.

I've done a few IS installs in the past and all went perfectly without the use of Saran. I only tried it out to see what all the fuss was about. It stuck to it like crazy. Was impossible to get it off. Well that's a lie. It came off like butter when I removed the IS :p

I do belive I'm through with the IS though. They tend to accumulate lint and dirt around the corners and eventually hinders the sticking to the phone. This one lasted me about 6 months. The back and front are still covered but the little edges on the top and bottom have since been removed.

briang191

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2009
I don't blame you. Trust me. Mine was a horror story. But the screen held up perfectly with grinding the saran off with a knife. I can't say for sure if it's dependant on the type of Saran used, but from my experience, I wouldn't use it.

I've done a few IS installs in the past and all went perfectly without the use of Saran. I only tried it out to see what all the fuss was about. It stuck to it like crazy. Was impossible to get it off. Well that's a lie. It came off like butter when I removed the IS :p

I do belive I'm through with the IS though. They tend to accumulate lint and dirt around the corners and eventually hinders the sticking to the phone. This one lasted me about 6 months. The back and front are still covered but the little edges on the top and bottom have since been removed.

How much saran wrap did you use? it seems like alot of people take off the IS or BGZ after less then a year due to the lint build up. I do plan to keep it in a case so I hope this will extend the life of the skin. I might use the saran wrap in a last case scenario.

I'll post an update late next week.

briang191

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2009
just an updated installed both the front skin and the back.

The front went on with no issues. As for the back that it was a challenge. I ran out of solution so I would highly recommend making an extra bowl of your own. Also using the sarap wrap method is working with no issues its the best tip I got for applying the BGZ. I used kirkland (costco) saran wrap .The back install is not perfect but I think I can live with it for now. I'd give myself a b- c+. I dont have a digital camera so I cant upload pics.

As for the BGZ itself I love the feel very close to naked iphone not grippy like my friends IS. It doesn't appear to have an orange peel effect but I really wont be able to say 100% until I start to use the phone.

I have not used my iphone since applying the front and back so I cant give a more detailed review. Hope this helps other debating between the different skin makers

update: the back of the BGZ is pretty slick. I would imagine the perfect combo would be the BGZ front and IS back. But only if you dont like the slick feeling of the iphone naked =D

pflau

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
You can make your own solution using water with a little bit of clear shampoo.

kaytoos2k

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2009
%$@#$%@#$! I totally ruined my IS as well using the saran wrap method as well. I wish I would of saw this thread before I did the install.

As I was taking off the saran wrap it took off the front screen with it! I managed to save the back but there are still bits and pieces of saran wrap. I tried goo-gone and soap to try to get the pieces off but no luck.

Oh well.. good thing for the zagg has a lifetime warranty.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
How did you know about the saran wrap without seeing this thread?

Jesus what the hell are you guys doing??!!

You let the skin dry first, you don't apply any saran wrap until at least 20 minutes or so after applying the skin. If there is any movement with the skin and you use saran wrap it's going to pull it off.

THIS TIP IS REALLY ONLY MEANT FOR THE CORNERS!!!!

Honestly I can't understand how anyone could screw this up. You focus the tight wrap on the corners only, not on the front, not on the back.

This is only a tip to ensure the corners are adhered perfectly. Like I said, I have done it numerous times and it works perfect every time.

YOU HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THE SKIN IS PARTIALLY ADHERED.

Ferris23

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007

Read my post. I specficially say to leave it on 15-20 minutes, and even that is stretching it. Usually 5 minutes at a time is sufficient.

This is the simpliest thing to do really. You aren't trying to kill the phone. You simply pull the saran wrap tight around all four corners and leave it loose everywhere else. 10 minutes later lightly peel off the saran wrap. It couldn't be any easier.

Maybe caps will work:

1) DO NOT LEAVE THE DAMN SARAN WRAP ON ALL NIGHT!

2) WAIT UNTIL ONLY THE CORNERS AREN'T STICKING DOWN BEFORE YOU USE ANY SARAN WRAP.

3) WRAP THE PHONE SNUG ONLY ON THE CORNERS, EVERYWHERE ELSE ON THE PHONE SHOULD BE SLIGHTLY LOOSE AND BUNCHED UP.

briang191

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2009
Read my post. I specficially say to leave it on 15-20 minutes, and even that is stretching it. Usually 5 minutes at a time is sufficient.

This is the simpliest thing to do really. You aren't trying to kill the phone. You simply pull the saran wrap tight around all four corners and leave it loose everywhere else. 10 minutes later lightly peel off the saran wrap. It couldn't be any easier.

Maybe caps will work:

1) DO NOT LEAVE THE DAMN SARAN WRAP ON ALL NIGHT!

2) WAIT UNTIL ONLY THE CORNERS AREN'T STICKING DOWN BEFORE YOU USE ANY SARAN WRAP.

3) WRAP THE PHONE SNUG ONLY ON THE CORNERS, EVERYWHERE ELSE ON THE PHONE SHOULD BE SLIGHTLY LOOSE AND BUNCHED UP.

I had no issues with leaving the saran wrap on over night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.