Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate western NY now.
I bought and installed one on my pro Max and none of the Apple leather or silicone cases fit correctly anymore. The phone sits too far outwards now due to the glass thickness. Just sharing.

Attachments

• 918693DE-16F1-49D6-9A14-3E9A5FF6184E.png
    918693DE-16F1-49D6-9A14-3E9A5FF6184E.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 206

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
I'm not too surprised the cases wouldn't fit since there's now an added layer/thickness of glass, but I'm genuinely curious, what is the purpose of using a rear glass protector if the rear is already protected by a case?

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate western NY now.
I'm not too surprised the cases wouldn't fit since there's now an added layer/thickness of glass, but I'm genuinely curious, what is the purpose of using a rear glass protector if the rear is already protected by a case?
No purpose , just a feel good factor and saving the device for the lucky next owner. 😂
I removed it now, the protector would be ideal for those that perhaps don their iPhones caseless

Htsi

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2020
No purpose , just a feel good factor and saving the device for the lucky next owner. ?
I removed it now, the protector would be ideal for those that perhaps don their iPhones caseless
Nope, phone feels lovely without any protectors. The back on the pro models is stellar, I can see the case to be made for a matte plastic on the non pro models.

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
No purpose , just a feel good factor and saving the device for the lucky next owner. 😂
I agree, I usually sell my iPhone when I buy a new one and l like it to be in as good of shape as possible. Have you tried the film protectors, that's what I use, they're thinner and still fit in the case. But again, I don't use Apple cases, so their tolerances are probably a lot more precise than the cases I use.

RedRage

Suspended
Jan 18, 2021
I had no idea they made rear glass protectors lol

I have a screen protector on mine, but no rear one.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
If you want to protect your phone while using cases, a clear skin would be your best bet. I've always had one installed on my iPhones alongside using cases, but now I had to take it off on my Xs Max because the Apple Leather case is too snug, it wouldn't properly fit. But I've used some other cases like off-brand thin ones, clear ones, Spigen etc. and they all seem to work.

Tempered glass is too thick to allow you to use a case.

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate western NY now.
I agree, I usually sell my iPhone when I buy a new one and l like it to be in as good of shape as possible. Have you tried the film protectors, that's what I use, they're thinner and still fit in the case. But again, I don't use Apple cases, so their tolerances are probably a lot more precise than the cases I use.
Any Amazon links please ?

Reactions: DevinNj

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
Any Amazon links please ?
Wow, made a liar out of myself, I could't find one for the 12 Pro Max, here's the ones I used on my 11 PM, I only used the rear because I use glass on the screen. Maybe they don't make the film for the back anymore, IDK, but maybe since it's in a case you could get away with using one of these, sure it wouldn't be a perfect fit, but if it's in a case it may not matter.

Reactions: Fred Zed

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 15, 2019
Upstate western NY now.
As you found out, the Apple leather cases are made for the exact size and nothing more. Not sure why you feel you need separate back protection. Seems overkill to me.
. Just a bit of chit chat. 😉
Tolerances must be minimal, since the phone doesn’t fit the Ringke air case properly either with back glass protector

Reactions: DevinNj
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.