Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feyn-man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
When you guys install windows on a Mac, bootcamp or parallels or vmware, anyway, you will spend money to buy a windows copy?
that expensive I think.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Well, it's not like Windows costs you another $1000. It's pretty much like paying for any other software. If you need it, you get it. If your needs are basic, you can get an OEM copy of XP for not too much. You could also use Crossover, which doesn't require a copy of Windows (but isn't compatible with everything, either).

Plus, most Mac users aren't exactly poor.

machatch

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
depends
When you guys install windows on a Mac, bootcamp or parallels or vmware, anyway, you will spend money to buy a windows copy?
that expensive I think.

yeah you would buy it after the 30 days expire ore download a hacked version ore not..:D..i dont have a hacked version but i bet there are some macuser who haves it?:)..i think the cheapest place to buy legit are http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...search-alias=aps&field-keywords=windows+vista
where you could buy it used and new??..

feyn-man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
you can get an OEM copy of XP for not too much. You could also use Crossover, which doesn't require a copy of Windows (but isn't compatible with everything, either).

excellent! could tell me about what you said......what is OEM copy? and what is Crossover? sometimes, not frequently, i need IE. Just IE, so I don't sure if an integrity windows is needed.

machatch

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
depends
excellent! could tell me about what you said......what is OEM copy? and what is Crossover? sometimes, not frequently, i need IE. Just IE, so I don't sure if a totally windows is needed.

oem is the cheapest copy wich includes not word,exel,etc...

DannyBres

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2007
UK
oem is the cheapest copy wich includes not word,exel,etc...
no it aint no versions of windows comee with office

as far as i an aware you can onlt use an oem copy of a software on 1 pc or something like that its meant for system builders

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
excellent! could tell me about what you said......what is OEM copy? and what is Crossover? sometimes, not frequently, i need IE. Just IE, so I don't sure if an integrity windows is needed.

OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. They're copies sold to people who are making computers themselves. So usually they come in simpler packaging and without manuals, but they are cheaper. I think Newegg.com usually has them. It's generally considered legal and proper to buy one for a purpose like this.

Crossover Office is a product based on the WINE technology -- basically, it's a set of libraries that take the place of Windows rather than allowing you to run an actual copy of Windows. What that means is that you can run many Windows programs on top of Crossover / WINE without using Windows itself. However, you still must pay for Crossover (not free). See this link:

http://www.codeweavers.com/

feyn-man

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
OEM = Original Equipment Manufacturer. They're copies sold to people who are making computers themselves. So usually they come in simpler packaging and without manuals, but they are cheaper. I think Newegg.com usually has them. It's generally considered legal and proper to buy one for a purpose like this.

Crossover Office is a product based on the WINE technology -- basically, it's a set of libraries that take the place of Windows rather than allowing you to run an actual copy of Windows. What that means is that you can run many Windows programs on top of Crossover / WINE without using Windows itself. However, you still must pay for Crossover (not free). See this link:

Okay, thank you so much
BTW, if I buy and install a windows on vmware (or other Virtual Machine), can I install it on other PC use the same windows copy?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Okay, thank you so much
BTW, if I buy and install a windows on vmware (or other Virtual Machine), can I install it on other PC use the same windows copy?

Not legally, no (unless you purchase more than one product key). With Vista product activation, it might not be possible at all, let alone illegal.

You can install the same copy for use by both Parallels and Bootcamp, though, for instance (i.e. you can run it in the parallels virtualization but also completely boot off the Windows partition, without OS X running at all, if you want to).

machatch

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
depends
no it aint no versions of windows comee with office

as far as i an aware you can onlt use an oem copy of a software on 1 pc or something like that its meant for system builders

ok.whats really the difference then?oem,premium,home,office,ultimate? - go figure...small differences... in mac os you get them all no premium,ultimate etc...i know that in oem you get that crappy wordpad..:)

machatch

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
depends

something like this?
http://www.amazon.com/VMware-Inc-VM...1614812-2713444?ie=UTF8&qid=1194053637&sr=8-3

machatch

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2007
depends
No... Parallels and VMWare are very similar / competitive products. Crossover is something quite different than either of them.

103-1614812-2713444

ok:)

link...
http://www.amazon.com/Code-Weavers-...3444?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1194054454&sr=1-1

Attachments

• 41G9fY5S8fL__SS500_.jpg
    41G9fY5S8fL__SS500_.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 44

macjay

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2003
I'd buy a full retail version of Vista Basic (cheap off eBay) before buying an OEM version. The full retail version gives you the flexibility to transfer it to another machine if you want (after uninstalling from the prior machine).

With an OEM version, the OS is permanently tied to the first machine it's installed on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.