just a quick 2 sec question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JustOneQuickONe, Sep 17, 2009.

1. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

Do the new macbook pro's come with X11 on them? I remember having to download it (I think) to use GIMP on my 13 white book but my gf just got a new macbook and I was going through the utilities and there it was. She said she had downloaded some things but I doubt she downloaded this.

2. crobbins macrumors 6502

I believe it now comes standard. It was on my machine and I don't recall ever installing it.

3. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that answers my question, Thank you! and sorry to all for the lame thread

4. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

If it has the [​IMG] then yes.

Edit: Page took forever to load and you already have your answer. Haha sorry

5. sanPietro98 macrumors 6502a

sanPietro98

I believe you can launch X11 from Applications / Utilities / X11.

6. macgirl89 macrumors member

Oops...

I installed GIMP the other day but I didn't like it because of that stupid X11 feature that made the application seem cluttered. So I uninstalled it and replaced it with the simple Paintbrush app. Then yesterday I was in my Utilities folder and I noticed X11 was there. I figured AppCleaner must've forgotten to delete that file, so I deleted it myself. Guess I shouldn't have...

I'm very new to Mac, so I don't know what X11 is for exactly. Is it a necessary thing to have? What can it be used with besides GIMP? If I need it, then I guess I'll download it from Apple's website.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

X11 is the X window system from *nix. It allows applications to be written for multiple systems and have a GUI without needing to re-code for every version. Some applications use it, but these are usually 3rd party things.

8. belvdr macrumors 603

My refurb came with Leopard, and it had X11 preinstalled.