Just a quick question, did FORCE TOUCH take off properly?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cuzo, Sep 15, 2017.

1. cuzo macrumors 6502a

Did alot of app developers implement this into their app? I'm getting another Iphone and want to know how far along FORCE TOUCH came along since it came out on the 6s.

No trolling, if it's a stupid question I apologize.

2. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Most people only remember that it exists when they accidentally trigger it.

Personally, I love the concept and I consciously try to use it. But for some reason I always forget that it is there. I blame that on the fact that phones are so fast that clicking an app i equally as fast as force touching to a truncated menu.

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

3D Touch is one of my favorite features since introduced into the iPhone 6S. The convenience of short cutting applications and briefly using Peek and Pop is much quicker than navigating through the whole application. Hopefully Apple continues to support 3D Touch in the future.

4. jr866gooner, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017

jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Same, I love the feature and wish that more devs took advantage of it!!

5. joonyaboy macrumors 6502

joonyaboy

It's an amazing feature that most devs haven't taken much advantage of (at least in the apps I use)

6. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

Same here. I love the concept, but most of the time I forget that it even exists.

7. 358547, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  8. Nozuka macrumors 68020

I think it's still held back because the iPad and some iPhones (sadly including the SE) don't support it....

And also, it's a problem that you can't actually see where 3D Touch works. If you don't know it, you'll have to try it everywhere, which would be annoying

9. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

10. davidcmc macrumors 6502

Some months ago I've considered selling my 7 Plus to buy a Galaxy S8+.

I've given up on this idea for many reasons (iOS performance, UI, guaranteed OS updates for years, no bloatware etc.), but the main reason was the absence of force touch feature on Android phones (and S8 obviously).
    The home button only force touch of the S8 line doesn't count since it only applies for that specific area.

I've learned to make 3D Touch extremely useful for me. Before my 7 Plus, I've had an SE and thought that 3D Touch wasn't important at all, but now I see things are different.

Not only it represents a "third mouse button" (assuming the long press would be the second mouse button), the peek and pop is very well implemented through iOS apps (like opening links in new tabs in Safari, reading chats in WhatsApp without the need to actually open them etc.).

Also, it feels good to use it (the vibration and how the background blurs). :D

11. cuzo thread starter macrumors 6502a

good replies, it was pretty useful for inst gram and I hope apple continues support. I want it to pick up more.

12. exexs macrumors member

They should really implement in into iPads (iPad Pro at least). I feel like Apple is putting new technologies up there just to have something to show during the keynote and then don't commit to it all the way. I think it is a great idea too, and it is even more relevant in a phone without home button. I would have loved to see a forced touch in the bottom area of the phone to close an app instead of a boring swipe up, which should have stayed the control center for ease of use.