All iPads Just a reminder if you're still deciding between the rMini and Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by syd430, Nov 12, 2013.

1. syd430 Guest

If you're going to be using your iPad on you're table or lap, you're probably better off with Air. If you're going to using your iPad almost exclusively as a bed device or something that you only ever hold in your hands, you're probably better off with the rMini.

If you tend to both hold your device and use it on a table, then you're still probably better off with the Air. If weight is an issue when holding the Air in bed, try holding it in landscape mode with both hands and use the split keyboard for typing (great when you get used to it). Over the years I've also gotten in to the habit of ripping off my Smart Cover when I'm holding it. Making holding the device a much better experience.

My advice is to also really think twice about putting a bulky case on the device. I strongly advise not doing this if you plan on holding it.

These are the conclusions I've come to after using all iPads since the iPad 2, including the Air, mini and now the rMini. As always, YMMV.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

These are good suggestions. Thank you. Going caseless IMO is the best. You really get to enjoy the design and thinness of the device. Covering such a beautiful device with plastic or leather is just a crime. :D

And it all depends on one's tolerance for holding a device over your head for an extended period of time. In MY case, 1 lb is just a tad too much. After half an hour is starts to bug me. .75lb is perfect. I can hold it for a couple of hours. It's just a line you cross that entirely depends on each person.

3. redman042 macrumors 68020

I'm with you on this. I'm sticking with the larger size iPad as I have before, and now with the Air I can have the larger size screen while enjoying the lighter weight and thinness that approaches the Mini.

The case I chose for my previous iPad 3 was the Devicewear Ridge. It was reasonably light and provided good protection and several reading and typing positions, but most importantly it was very easy to take the iPad out and put it back in. That way, I could have the protection of a case most of the time, but use the device naked whenever I wanted. It was a nice balance.

This time I'm going with the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Folio. I really need a keyboard for content creation, but again this case is advertised as being easy to remove the iPad from, so I will be able to use the iPad Air without a case when reading on the couch or in bed.

4. JGWolven macrumors regular

5. miamihacker macrumors regular

I'm leaning towards returning my air (which I don't know if apple will trade it in) because I feel that the iPad air is a tad bit too big for me. also I bought the 16gb version since I was a little short in money. getting the rmini I will be able to have more space and same specs as the air. only thing I will have to adjust is the smaller screen to watch movies and shows, and typing in class.

6. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Half an hour? Really? I don't think I could hold even the lightest Kindle like that for even five minutes. I always end up with the device on my lap. Even with the iPhone, I never hold it up over my head, it's always in front of me at about chest level. I guess that's one reason why I prefer the Air -- it's going to be in my lap anyway, might as well enjoy a larger screen.

You are right that where you cross the "line" is different for each person, but in this case, I think we aren't even talking about the same line! :p

7. slffl macrumors 65816

slffl

8. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

ha, not everyone can afford both

9. syd430 Guest

If you're talking about holding it with one hand in portrait mode, then I don't think I would be able to hold it above head for more than 3 minutes without getting uncomfortable.

Holding it above head with both hands in landscape mode is a completely different story though. I can hold it for hours on end like this. Need to type? -> split keyboard. It's only awkward at first, but the split keyboard is insanely fast once you get used to it.

10. Mrawr macrumors member

Definitely good points. I use the thing on my desk at work for non-work stuff (email, music, chat, occasional browsing). I just hate pulling the iPad out during my short bus commute for reading. Still torn with the rMini, but my gut says to keep the Air. Might get annoying at work with the Mini.

Yeah yeah, I know. I whine just like the rest if 'em in this forum.

11. RickG macrumors regular

I agree going with no case is best for the mini

12. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

Good points... And don't discount the difference in screen size. There doesn't sound like much difference between a 8" screen and a 10" screen, but in terms of area its 30 square inches versus 45. Mini is definitely more portable, but requires more zooming on webpages. Both are great devices.

13. Infinitewisdom macrumors 6502

I'll have them both and will make a decision, but I think I'll end up keeping the Air. The larger screen makes a big difference. And now that the weight differential is almost negligible, the mini is nowhere near as compelling.

14. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

I bought a base rMini to use at home almost like an eReader, and I have an LTE Air as an everything device when I'm out and about. Previously, the weight of the full size iPad made sense to leave it at home but not with the Air now.

15. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

You forgot to add..for you. So I'll do it for you.

16. syd430 Guest

Actually, no. I worded it carefully and used the word "probably" multiple times, in order to not speak in absolutes. Also I did clearly write YMMV (your mileage may vary) at the end of my post. What do you want me to do, put a giant 500 word disclaimer at the top of everyone of my posts? I think you can already infer that it is my opinion based on the nature of the topic.

17. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

One hand or two, I'm not holding any device over my head. Aside from my arm(s) getting tired, my neck would get a crink. Just no. I was never able to read lying flat on my back -- always need to prop myself up to at least a half-sitting position.

18. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

The best is to have both, if you can't afford both then get the air and nexus 7. You have best of both worlds . all problems solved!!!

19. Young Turk, Nov 13, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

Young Turk macrumors 6502

I ordered a rMini 16gb to use as an e-Reader and day planner at home and while on the elliptical at the gym. Will also buy a 32gb Air for use in court and at my law office.

20. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Mini is too small for websites, other than that its a great device for reading books, photos. Air is better for tv/movies and websites. If you can't carry a air around you need to get some help:)