Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
hey guys...i used to remember people posting their videos up here..but i don't much these days. Using FCPX i was able to recreate 80s retro action movie..(short film)..but i made a teaser... just wanna share. thx.

Gwendolini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
random
It takes 20 seconds to get to the teaser, as the MPAA info takes 10 seconds and the "logo" takes 10 seconds.
Then the music is too loud and one has to turn down the volume, but it does not help to make the narrator voice easier to hear.
The image quality is okay, but I don't know, why YT offers 720p and 1080p as options, as the source is obviously, or made to look like, an SD source.
I haven't gotten a clue what the movie might be about, but I am listening to talk about Wagner the whole day, my brain might be fried.
And I don't know what I should believe. Being trapped?

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
It takes 20 seconds to get to the teaser, as the MPAA info takes 10 seconds and the "logo" takes 10 seconds.
Then the music is too loud and one has to turn down the volume, but it does not help to make the narrator voice easier to hear.
The image quality is okay, but I don't know, why YT offers 720p and 1080p as options, as the source is obviously, or made to look like, an SD source.
I haven't gotten a clue what the movie might be about, but I am listening to talk about Wagner the whole day, my brain might be fried.
And I don't know what I should believe. Being trapped?
thx for feed.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Critical feedback:

1. Cut green intro down TO 3-4 seconds or so
2. Eliminate the black screen that appears between 17-19.5 seconds
3. Turn up the vocal
4. The whole look of it is a little lo-res for me... I read the description about limited equipment and 80's style film but the quality just looked overly compressed or something. Make sure you're not overcompressing it for upload and if there's anything you can do about the resolution or quality then it would be beneficial to do so.
5. Coming Soon is on there too long in my opinion.
6. I don't understand the point of putting Believe at the end. It would be better to link to a website or Facebook page for the film.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Critical feedback:

3. Turn up the vocal
4. The whole look of it is a little lo-res for me... I read the description about limited equipment and 80's style film but the quality just looked overly compressed or something. Make sure you're not overcompressing it for upload and if there's anything you can do about the resolution or quality then it would be beneficial to do so.
6. I don't understand the point of putting Believe at the end. It would be better to link to a website or Facebook page for the film.
thanks...about to redo soon.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Critical feedback:

3. Turn up the vocal
what do you mean overly compressed? thanks.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
what do you mean overly compressed? thanks.

Output bitrate of your file. Imagine converting every frame into a jpeg file... you can imagine that there is some quality loss. What is your output bitrate? And you are using h.264 aren't you? Use like 10,000kbps or something that should give you a really high quality file to upload to YouTube.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Output bitrate of your file. Imagine converting every frame into a jpeg file... you can imagine that there is some quality loss. What is your output bitrate? And you are using h.264 aren't you? Use like 10,000kbps or something that should give you a really high quality file to upload to YouTube.
well it was done via fcp x...prores....so...i'm not actually sure..to be honest.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
closer as in film the scene closer? or crop it?
What I mean is the iPhone 6 Plus shoots video with good quality like this
Yours should look similar. The only reasons why it doesn't is because you're cropping too much, compressing it too much, using the incorrect resolution in your editing software, or are borrowing someone else's footage which is low quality to begin with. Your trailer looks good when the picture is small... it grabs the 80's look very well, but when I blow up the picture the quality degradation is noticeable and could be higher quality, especially coming from a good modern camera like the iPhone 6 Plus.

pat500000

Suspended
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
What I mean is the iPhone 6 Plus shoots video with good quality like this
Yours should look similar. The only reasons why it doesn't is because you're cropping too much, compressing it too much, using the incorrect resolution in your editing software, or are borrowing someone else's footage which is low quality to begin with. Your trailer looks good when the picture is small... it grabs the 80's look very well, but when I blow up the picture the quality degradation is noticeable and could be higher quality, especially coming from a good modern camera like the iPhone 6 Plus.
from here...how would you re-work it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.