Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
South West England
Is there anything stopping you getting an iphone 3g tied to a contract, then after a week phoning up at&t/o2 or whatever carrier and saying your phone has been stolen and can you order a replacement?

obviously you have to pay for the replacement (which would of course be more than 199 dollars), but then you have two 3g iphones, one to sell unlocked on ebay.

CrazEtooN

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Hampton Roads, Virginia
Is there anything stopping you getting an iphone 3g tied to a contract, then after a week phoning up at&t/o2 or whatever carrier and saying your phone has been stolen and can you order a replacement?

obviously you have to pay for the replacement (which would of course be more than 199 dollars), but then you have two 3g iphones, one to sell unlocked on ebay.

Worst. Idea. Ever.

They will kill the phone by its IMEI number.

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
Since you can only buy new iPhones in-store, they may only allow replacements to be in-store, too

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
South West England
for a start, how would they know your imei number? isn't that something you have to give them (which you can't if you don't know it).

also you don't have to say its stolen, you can just say you broke it. Surely they aren't going to ask for proof?!

CrazEtooN

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
Hampton Roads, Virginia
for a start, how would they know your imei number? isn't that something you have to give them (which you can't if you don't know it).

also you don't have to say its stolen, you can just say you broke it. Surely they aren't going to ask for proof?!

They should have it attached to your account because the iPhone requires a new contract to activate.

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
South West England
Maybe you should just get a job instead of "stealing" from Apple. Do you really need those 300 bucks you can make out of all the trouble? :cool:

Just my 2 cents

have i missed something here? why would BUYING a replacement iphone by 'stealing' from apple?

surely anyone is entitled replace a phone that has broken (and pay for that replacement). just because the phone hasn't broken shouldn't be a big deal. everyones happy as you are PAYING for the replacement, not STEALING it. lol maybe you should not be so quick to put people down.

FYI i'm a uk student, i wouldn't be in a position to do this, I was merely speculating that this might be a way for 3g iphones to get onto ebay and unlocked.

metman787

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2007
Maybe you should just get a job instead of "stealing" from Apple. Do you really need those 300 bucks you can make out of all the trouble? :cool:

Just my 2 cents

Its not stealing. Its called using your brain to make a couple extra bucks. Its not illegal to do its just a loophole in the system. A lot of people use their brain to make money instead of just picking something to do as a career and working for someone else. Its a dog eat dog world out there everyone "steals" from everyone these days to make money

I'm just ranting though because people say "just get a job" which really deprives creativity and intellect from a lot of people in this world, but you are probably right maybe he should "just get a job."

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City

you have to wait a month otherwise they force you to return the phone...

that is probably what Im going to do

PAH Mac

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2008
I have no need to unlock an iPhone but with Apple suddenly selling in 70 countries, won't there most likely be places where iPhones could be purchased unactivated (so many different companies involved)? I could see a market developing where Americans who want to unlock would buy from someone overseas. Is this unlikely?

iBookfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Its not stealing. Its called using your brain to make a couple extra bucks. Its not illegal to do its just a loophole in the system. A lot of people use their brain to make money instead of just picking something to do as a career and working for someone else. Its a dog eat dog world out there everyone "steals" from everyone these days to make money

I'm just ranting though because people say "just get a job" which really deprives creativity and intellect from a lot of people in this world, but you are probably right maybe he should "just get a job."

You're right.. just seen from a capatilist' POV :rolleyes:

mhuk01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 5, 2006
South West England
you are probably right maybe he should "just get a job."

are maybe you shouldn't judge people you don't even know? like i said, i'm not interested in doing this, i just want to be able to get an unlocked iphone 3g like many others as soon as it hits the shelves.

i'm sorry but if you think there is something wrong with purchasing a replacement product from a company, well lets just agree to disagree. :p

thechidz

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2007
New York City
I have no need to unlock an iPhone but with Apple suddenly selling in 70 countries, won't there most likely be places where iPhones could be purchased unactivated (so many different companies involved)? I could see a market developing where Americans who want to unlock would buy from someone overseas. Is this unlikely?

very... but it will cost us

iBookfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
are maybe you shouldn't judge people you don't even know? like i said, i'm not interested in doing this, i just want to be able to get an unlocked iphone 3g like many others as soon as it hits the shelves.

i'm sorry but if you think there is something wrong with purchasing a replacement product from a company, well lets just agree to disagree. :p

Relax man, just shearing our views

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.