Just a thought... (name for next iMac generation)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Cfour, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Cfour macrumors member

Cfour

But when the new iMacs finally roll along, now that Apple have switched to Intel, how will we name that generation of iMacs.
    My point is, all of the other iMac redesign have tied in with the PPC chip inside, ie iMac G4 shockingly enough had a G4 processor, iMac G5 had a G5.
    So will we call the new iMacs the 'G6' even though this is irrelevant to the computer itself?

Cfour

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Well Steve said they wanted to bring the Mac name into their products, like MacBook and Mac Pro.

So instead of iMac G5 we'll have the iMac Mac :)

3. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Uhhhh.....what? Why would the name change? The current lineup of iMacs has an Intel chip, so what's your point?

4. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

5. Cfour thread starter macrumors member

Cfour

lol, sorry. My point was; with each new model of iMac, the processor has changed so if you say an 'iMac G3' you know its the model with the G3 PPC chip, but now they use Intel chips this no longer works so will the new iMac (which would be called the G6) be referred to as the G6 ?

Hope thats a little clearer lol

Cfour

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

That's not the official name though.

Although the iMacs could be called iMac CD, iMac C2D, iMac SR as you suggested.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I haven't been impressed with the names Apple uses to distinguish models.

Take a look at their specs page for a list of these names. Sometimes they differentiate by speed, i.e., MacBook Pro (2.4/2.2GHz), sometimes by date, i.e., MacBook (Late 2006), and sometimes by other features, e.g., iMac G5 (Ambient Light Sensor).

The Power Mac G4 MDD I bought in 2002 was named after it's "mirrored drive door", which is a rather superficial characteristic, but I suppose that's the easiest way to tell it from other models of the era.

Perhaps relying on a few key characteristics is better than using Gestalt IDs (unique numbers assigned to each model) but still I wish each Mac model was assigned a human name, the way hurricanes are, or the name of a type of apple fruit, or some other moniker picked out of a hat, just to have a friendlier way to refer to it. Lacking that, I think they should use the model name, size or speed, and the month of release, e.g., "PowerBook 17" 2005 October", and use that consistently.

8. headhammer macrumors regular

don't you mean the Mac iMac? all the names are getting 'mac' in front of them, is all :p

9. mathwhiz90601 macrumors 6502

mathwhiz90601

Like a MacI?

10. headhammer macrumors regular

11. nlivo macrumors 6502a

mate, the iMac has been intel for ages and all they do is call them iMac's.....there has been nothing after 'iMac' for the past 18 months.....

12. p0intblank macrumors 68030

iMac already has "Mac" in its name, so there will be no change.

13. headhammer macrumors regular

fine, spoil my fun.
    i was just in it for a lark.

i don't think they'll change the name either.
    unless...
    they might call it the Mini MacIMac Pro Mac... Mac

14. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

15. trule macrumors 6502

The whole iMac name and brand is getting a little old, it still works for the very personal devices where the i is analogous to the I, but with the desktop becoming a family digital hub...the i does not mean what it used too.

A simple "Mac" perhaps?

16. Macintoshgeek macrumors member

Imac Intel Generation 2?

thats the one that makes the most since to me.

17. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

But that could get confusing because the iMac G2 is newer than the iMac G4 or G5...

I'm pretty sure the processors were called G4 because they were Generation 4 RISC architecture.

18. Mr.Orb macrumors newbie