Just a thought...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sodeepop, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Sodeepop macrumors newbie

Oct 18, 2008
    Anyone think apple will be coming out with a thunderbolt cord for the iOS devices? They seem to have hyped thunderbolt and even helped in the process in making the thunderbolt technology it would just make sense to use it with their iOS products.

I would actually like this a lot because every now and then I would sync movies with my iPad or iPhone and speeding this up would be great.
  2. walie macrumors 6502a

Nov 15, 2010
    That would go against their Post-PC agenda
  3. iceterminal macrumors 68000

May 25, 2008
    Dallas Tx.
    I honestly would love this idea. But I have a bad feeling that like firewire, it'll stick to a few platforms only.
    Its twice as fast as USB 3.0. But USB is more wide spread and has backwards compatibility.
    I'd still love to have 10Gbps transfer rate to my iPhone/iPad.
  4. Sodeepop thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 18, 2008

I think so too but then again the only reason I would think apple would even think of making it compatible with iOS devices is that they helped create it.
  5. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    What about apple's agreement with the EU to adopt a standardized usb connector for the iPhone. I can't see going to thunderbolt and keeping that agreement.
  6. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

Apr 2, 2009
    Does a 32gb iphone have a enough space to really take advantage of 10gbps transfer speed? on the other hand i think it would be great for a ipod classic.
  7. b166er macrumors 68020

Apr 17, 2010
    although I would very much like to see this, I don't see it happening. Sure the iPhone has limited storage capacity, but I am all about SPEED when it comes to syncing/copying/backing up. I'm sure even after wifi sync is standard I will still often use the cable when I'm in a rush- which is often. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're getting wifi sync, very glad. But we all know it's going to be slower.

I think the 30 pin connector needs to be completely done away with. A company so hellbent on reducing size with each generation should not limit themselves with that 30 pin. It served it's purpose back in the day, but it could be replaced by something much more streamlined and compact now. Like thunderbolt. Maybe the iPhone 6 or 7, but I doubt the 5.