Just a warning to windows users wanting to use PT created ipsws

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Shaddow825, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

From reading the comments on the dev team blog it looks like you need to use PwnageTool to put the phone into DFU mode (it does some special magic DFU mode) to restore the firmware that it creates. It looks like windows users are getting errors during the restore when using normal DFU mode with PT created ipsws. FYI

2. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Saw that too. I wish they were more specific on what these things do. They've got to break the chain of trust so I assume they are running the tethered part of the exploit while going into DFU, just not for sure yet.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Damn that sucks.
    And I hoping to use a custom IPSW created with pwnage on my Win7 computer.

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Used Mac Minis are cheap ;)

Do we need to host local jailbreaking parties?

5. Timbalan macrumors newbie

So that just leaves the upcoming Sn0breeze 2.1 for us windows using unlockers correct?

6. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I don't think you would have a problem, you just need to let the tool to get your phone into DFU and not do it yourself manually.

7. Timbalan macrumors newbie

But how do you let the mac only tool (PT) do anything on a windows machine?

8. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

I'm guessing that as long as you go through the DFU process on a Mac, and restore as new, you can then take your iPhone to your PC and sync your music, movies, contacts, apps, etc.

I would suggest restore as new anyway, so maybe this isn't as bad as it seems. I've just never gone past the creation of the custom firmware on my friends MAC.

9. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Man, i stand corrected, just ignore my dumb reply :eek:

10. Shaddow825 thread starter macrumors 6502

This is just what I did. Did all the PT stuff on my mac, got it to the point where it was asking me to set up as new or restore backup. I disconnected it and took it to my PC, same choice screen came up, and I restored from my backup taken right before the restore.

11. terraphantm macrumors 68040

If you're desperate, you can run OSX in a virtual machine and do it that way. Best would probably be to just upgrade through iTunes and run limera1n/greenpois0n. (Especially if you've got an iPhone 4 since you can use tinyumbrella to preserve the baseband)

12. Shaddow825 thread starter macrumors 6502

The latest comments there are trying this and not having any luck. Something isn't happening when putting into DFU from the VMs.

13. terraphantm macrumors 68040

I haven't tried with this particular method since I don't have the need to, but I have successfully used DFU mode through vmware before (I'll admit it took *several* tries though)

14. Shaddow825 thread starter macrumors 6502

Normal DFU mode works just fine. This DFU mode is different. It somehow uses and exploit to break the chain of trust so that custom firmware will be accepted by the phone, and that is what isn't getting through from the VM apparently.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Im borrowing a friends macbook tommorow:D

16. Timbalan macrumors newbie

So the recent redsn0w update has a pwnd DFU mode choice now and should take care of the issue in this thread.

Assuming you can get a trusted mac user to cook you up a good custom ipsw.

That sound right?

17. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

Yes. Point RedSn0w to a good 4.1 ispw to start the process. That will eventually get you to a point where you'll be able to restore to your pwned ispw.