Just a weird thought

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vmachiel, Apr 16, 2012.

1. vmachiel macrumors 68000

But i have an idea: Apple wants to get rid of the superdrive. People use it less and it's a huge constrained for design. What if they put one in the airport extreme and time capsule? That way, the can make the iMac and MBP thinner, and each home would still have one superdrive. (in an all apple home ofcourse)

I know this won't happen, but it's a cool thought right? :)

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Apples not trying to move the Superdrive but remove it. In time the PC will follow suit. People hummed & hawed about Apple removing the floppy drive too.

3. vmachiel thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah I know this won't happen. But I'd like it:) again its just a thought

4. Fofer macrumors 6502a

Rather than put one in, I'd be happy/impressed if they updated the Airport Extreme/Time Capsule firmware so that their USB ports worked with the existing external SuperDrive. Disc Sharing works over the network for Macs, it would be great to have it work from Airport Extremes and Time Capsules, too.

5. vmachiel thread starter macrumors 68000

That's a good idea, I thought they already did this.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Optical media is rapidly becoming as redundant as the old 5.4 and 3.4 floppy disk of old. I used to burn a lot of DVD's, haven't done so for a good long time now....I bought a superdrive (External) for my MBA and used it once to install office.

The optical in my MBP has never burned a DVD or CD since it was new, and my iMac may have burned about a dozen or so.

Apple will phase it out in favour of SSD's etc. which are far more useful to people nowadays.

Since most software is web download too, it just makes more sense to add function and reduce weight and wasted space.