Just about to buy 15" 2.8GHz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by carrollf, Sep 27, 2009.

  1. carrollf macrumors regular


    Aug 8, 2007
    I am just about to hit Submit on an order for the 15" 2.8GHz MBP and am getting slightly chilled (not quite cold) feet! Thoughts going through my head of...Is now a good time to buy this? Should I get a lower spec model to save a few bucks? Will I be happy with the resolution? blah blah blah!!
    Anyway just need some encouragment from anyone who has had these thought too before buying an expensive toy (I say "toy" because I have an iMac that works just fine but think that a little mobility cannot be a bad thing). I haven't quite figured out whether I need or just really really really want this :)
  2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604


    Sep 17, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    You should order it. As far as I know there are not any new MBPs coming out anytime soon.

    By the way, good choice on the 15", I'm going to get one sometime before the end of the year :D
  3. cluthz macrumors 68040


    Jun 15, 2004
    If you have a iMac and need/want a portable computer, why not buy the lowend 13 inch MBP?

    It's a lot cheaper and more portable than the 15 inch.
  4. TH3D4RKKN1GH7 macrumors 6502a


    Mar 25, 2009
    I just got mine today, same model and everything, and I love it. If you need it now, get it now. I needed mine now. Fast little machine, get's a little hot on the left side when you got things plugged in.
  5. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular


    Jul 31, 2009
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Without being impartial, it is important that you be pragmatic in this decision. You should consider first, that type of tasks you will be performing on your new notebook. Secondly, monetary constraints may be a factor for you and many in your choice to buy.
    Then go from this point, and see what you can work with. I personally have a brand new 15" MBP 2.66 GHz which I purchased on Thursday! This machine is awesome, with a large real estate for upgrades. In my opinion, why not save $299 and buy a SSD or a 500GB HDD @7200rpm. Anyways it's just one opinion. Good luck with your new purchase and I hope it satisfies your needs.
  6. vant macrumors 65816

    Jul 1, 2009
    What do you plan to use the machine for?

    Is the 9600 worth it to you? (Is the 512mb vs 256mb worth it to you?)

    If your simply browsing the web, the 2.53 will do. You have to remember, it's a $600 upgrade for the 9600 512mb. $300 for the 256mb.
  7. tenderidol macrumors regular


    Sep 5, 2009
    I have the exact same specs of 15" MBP and my wife has the 13" MBP (entry level). If you are thinking of getting the MBP for mobility, a 13" MBP may serve you better. It all depends what you want to use the MBP for... If processor speed, GPU type/RAM/numbers, RAM amount and HD speed/type are any of the concerns for the applications you are going to use this machine for, then 2.8GHz MBP can easily be justified, for basic use 2.53 with 9400 would be just fine. At that point, you can even consider the 13" MBP to save $$$ for accessories and other "toys" :)
    Good luck with your purchase either way!

Share This Page