Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HONDAxACURA

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
California
Hi there. I got a hand me down Powerbook G4. It's in great condition with a new HDD. It has Leopard installed.

My question is, does the fan turn on all the time?

I also know that it has 2 fans, left and a right. When I checked my iStat pro widget, it only showed the right one working. Is that normal to have 1 side working, while the other shows zero rpm?

Thank-you!

Damnations!

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
Yes
Hi there.
Yo!
I got a hand me down Powerbook G4. It's in great condition with a new HDD. It has Leopard installed.
Excellent.
My question is, does the fan turn on all the time?
No, sometimes it decides it's tired and sleeps for a while.
I also know that it has 2 fans, left and a right.
No, it has a right and a left.
When I checked my iStat pro widget, it only showed the right one working.
Oh noes!
Is that normal to have 1 side working, while the other shows zero rpm?
Yes. It's like your lungs. One turns off every 12 hours, and the other comes on.
Thank-you!
No problem!

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Yo!

Excellent.

No, sometimes it decides it's tired and sleeps for a while.

No, it has a right and a left.

Oh noes!

Yes. It's like your lungs. One turns off every 12 hours, and the other comes on.

No problem!
Can you go be a jackass in the iPod or iPhone forum instead?

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Unless my PBG4 is faulty as well, it's perfectly normal for one fan to work more than the other.

However, mine has the left one running almost constantly and the right one is the one that rarely kicks on (it only comes on when doing really intense stuff, like exporting 720p video in FCP). The left one is the one by both the CPU and GPU, so I would assume that one would be the one that would come on the most often, not the right one.

Which PBG4 is it? Screen size and processor speed. If it's the 12", the CPU and GPU may be on the right, I've never taken one of those apart. I have the 15" and both the 15" and 17" have the CPU/GPU on the left. How hot is the machine running?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.