Just activated, do I charge battery or let it run down?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DAKnits, Jan 16, 2008.

1. DAKnits macrumors newbie

Sorry for the newbie question!!!!!! I just activated my new iphone (love this thing), and see that it already is fully charged. Do I let the battery run all the way down before charging it, or do I charge it first? Thanks!

2. Jonny427 macrumors regular

Since the battery is Li-ion, it shouldn't really matter. For good measure though, I would:

1. fully charge it
    2. fully discharge it
    3. let it sit powered off overnight
    4. fully recharge it

Older Ni-Cad batteries had a recharge memory problem so doing a full drain would establish its full potential.

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

true, there is no memory ... so i wouldn't do any of that... in fact, letting it fully discharge might do more harm then help.

4. DAKnits thread starter macrumors newbie

I just got home and have been using the iphone all day and it's about half charged. So I shouldn't let it run all the way down? I'm not familiar with what kind of harm can be caused by fully discharging it, but if there's any chance of it, I'll just recharge it tonight and continue recharging it every night regardless of how charged it is, like I did with my old phone, the Motorola Razor. Would that be OK?

Again, thanks for helping a true newbie out!

5. tylerww7 macrumors member

just charge it everynight like i do it wont affect ur battery life for atleast a year

6. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

yes, that would be ok ...

7. DAKnits thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks to all for the help. Today was my first day with my iphone and I think I spent the majority of the day playing with it! :)

8. Hecklerdanny macrumors 6502

Hecklerdanny

Haha I hear ya...I got my iPhone yesterday afternoon and I don't think I put it down once until at least 11 oclock last night...

9. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

IMO you're getting some bad advice here.

Lithium Ion batteries detest being fully discharged. There is no need to do that. Li-ion batteries do not exhibit the "memory effects" that Nickle metal hydride batteries of yesteryear did. On those old NiMH batteries, you did need to fully discharge them periodically.

NOT SO WITH Li-Ion. In fact, you do more to shorten its useable life by discharging them completely. :eek:

10. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

Do NOT ever fully discharge a Li-ion battery, it will shorten its life.
    The best advice on how to use a Li-ion battery, is just using it how you want. Charge it whenever you want, just don't let it discharge completely.