Just an FYI. Random issues taking my MBP down!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eldy, Feb 26, 2009.

1. eldy macrumors 6502

After eight days of uptime I insert a CD with some photos to import into iPhoto but it never shows up on the desktop, finder, or disk utility. I used iTunes eject, and a terminal command to eject the CD but neither works. And boom goes the dynamite, I have to restart the compy while holding the mouse button down to eject the CD even though it works on three other computers.

Two days later... I'm making a ringtone in Garage Band and all of a sudden the MBP says that I have too many instruments going (two tracks open) and it can't play them in real time. With that, the speakers pop and crackle and now whenever I play any audio, even changing the volume, I get a loud and disturbing pop. And boom goes the dynamite, I have to reboot to get any audio again.

WTH man!? :)

2. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

Did you try a restart? I'm no expert but why wait so long without a restart..

James

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Ok lets start...
    I assume you've tried all these things....

1) Repair the drive permissions

2) Repair your Pram etc

4) Update OS X

3) Restart your computer!!!

4. eldy thread starter macrumors 6502

Both times I restarted the compy to get it working again.

It's plugged into the charger almost exclusively and I run it in closed clamshell mode 90% of the time so it's more convenient to put the computer to sleep rather than shut it down. Shutting it down would require me to open the lid to turn it on, wait for it to boot, close the lid, wait for it to sleep and finally wake it back up again with the external keyboard or mouse in order to drive the external monitor at it's native resolution. Extending the desktop is weird because I'm using my 52" TV as the external monitor... ;)

5. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

We arn't questioning you, OS X doesnt need to be shut down, im just telling you what to do to fix it.

If you have a Unibody MBP i hope your leaving the screen open when you connect it to an external screen!

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why? As long as he is plugged into A/C power there is no reason to have the notebook open unless he is spanning and not mirroring. I understand he is seems to be spanning, but you make it sound like the new unibodies can't drive an external unless the lid is up ... this is not the case.

7. eldy thread starter macrumors 6502

No heat problems with the lid closed and using the 9600GT video card. I encode stuff using Handbrake and CPU temps will spike to 93 C but once the fans kick in, it drops and holds steady at about 85C. When just browsing the CPU temp is in the mid-50 C range. It really doesn't run any cooler with the lid open with or without a Moshi Clearguard on.

8. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I know i know, but you can never be too careful. Its not healthy for any Intel CPU to operate over 90C, but you probably already know that.