Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alex.vm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Well I've lurking around for a while, posted a few times, but haven't introduced myself.

My name is Alex, and reside in a Chicago burb, will be going to Carthage College in Kenosha, WI in the fall.

I love photography, in a way, it kinda led me to consider Apple for my laptop purchase. And so about six weeks ago I bought a 2.33 C2D 15in MBP. Loved it until June 5th, when the new models came out. I rushed to the store for an exchange and they were surprisingly ok with it and kinda looked like they expected me to. I walked out with a 2.4 15in glossy, and ipod and a printer. It has been perfect so far (knock on wood); I love the LED screen.

So far Im learning to use Aperture (good student discount deal :eek: ) and Im pretty proficient with Photoshop, both of which run amazing on it.

It goes without saying but I was a Windows user, this is my first Mac, so I wanted to ask, what would be the first apps you would load your new Mac with? what do you recommend?

(already have iAlertU-and it rocks) Other than that I've downloaded a few widgets like iStat.

Here is my flickr page, nothing proffessional or anything, just a hobby. All shot with a Sony Alpha A100.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexvm/

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
I just want to say you are very lucky to have gotten away with that exchange. There are many threads already on the topic of apps and such, check out the beginner guide, or do some searching.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
firefox...safari is a piece of junk...dont load too many dashboard apps cause some use just as many resources as regular apps, and they are always running...istat is excellent ive always used that aperture is a lovely program...other than that it just depends on your likes or whatnot

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
ive used safari plenty, i just cant seem to find the home button, if you could point it out id be very appriciative

what i need is IE for mac...oh well thats what parrallels is for :D

Gandhi

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
TX
ive used safari plenty, i just cant seem to find the home button, if you could point it out id be very appriciative

what i need is IE for mac...oh well thats what parrallels is for :D

View -> Customize Toolbar.

If you want to use IE and open the door to viruses on your Windows partition, more power to ya ;)

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
for squeeks

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    188.2 KB · Views: 126

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
firefox...safari is a piece of junk...dont load too many dashboard apps cause some use just as many resources as regular apps, and they are always running...istat is excellent ive always used that aperture is a lovely program...other than that it just depends on your likes or whatnot

and firefox is rubbish compared to Camino :p

also, dashboard widgets don't use any processes when you're out of the dashboard, they do hold a small amount of info in your RAM though so if you don't have enough there could be issues.

and i think quicksilver is one of the best 'apps' out there. period. its amazing.

alex.vm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
and firefox is rubbish compared to Camino :p

also, dashboard widgets don't use any processes when you're out of the dashboard, they do hold a small amount of info in your RAM though so if you don't have enough there could be issues.

and i think quicksilver is one of the best 'apps' out there. period. its amazing.

As a former Windows user, Firefox was my browser of choice, since I downloaded it though, it has been the only app to crash. Multiple times actually. I uninstalled and reinstalled it but it didn't solve the problem :mad:

Thanks for all the replies!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I've used FireFox since day 1 of my Mac life and I love it.

Never crashed (well rarely), suits my needs.

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2007
I found that Firefox made my fans go up instantly and used alot of resources(RAM and CPU). I used v.2 but don't know if the v.1.5 is better on mac, as on PC.

What's worked best for me was/is Camino!

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Yeah, really wish that home button was there by default. It's not difficult to put it up there but not many people realize it can be customized and the home button can be dragged there.

Benedictus-x

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2007
The Port!
camino. made by mozilla and is identical to FF except its develeoped with mac GUI APIs so it blends in with os x even better than safari

or use opera..I like it

masse

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2007
MA/GA
I've been using firefox for 5 years so I tend to stick to it. VLC player has been a lifesaver and timesaver. Quicksilver is a great tool.

alex.vm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
I've been using firefox for 5 years so I tend to stick to it. VLC player has been a lifesaver and timesaver. Quicksilver is a great tool.

Can you guys tell me about quicksilver? I downloaded it on the first 2.33 MBP before it was exchanged but it confused me haha, I dont know how or what to use it for :confused:

rhagen

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2007
San Diego, California
Can you guys tell me about quicksilver? I downloaded it on the first 2.33 MBP before it was exchanged but it confused me haha, I dont know how or what to use it for :confused:

It is only the greatest application ever created. Go to youtube.com and watch some tutorial videos on quicksilver. Too hard to explain what it does... because it does everything.

Also go to Podcast! on itunes and search for MacBreak. Merlin Mann does a great beginner guide on quicksilver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.