Just an Observation about Hackintosh.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by 76ShovelHead, Mar 28, 2011.

1. 76ShovelHead macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

I have an Intel Pentium Dual-Core e5200 OC'd @ 3.20 Ghz with 2GB of Ram along with a speedy, yet unsupported (In OS 10.5) Radeon HD 4670. Keep in mind that Windows 7 is Installed on a fast SATA Hard Drive and is freshly installed at that whereas Mac OS 10.5.8 is installed on a slower IDE hard drive pulled from a 2006 eMac! Anywho when booting from the old eMac's hard drive it's fast, OS 10 is responsive and almost instantly I'm connected to Facebook through iChat and Mail is right there giving me access to my new emails. The best part is that it doesn't freeze. When booting Windows, well thats another story. It loads, about 10 minutes later into the OS the startup noise sounds, Applications, such as AIM will load and freeze, i cant click the mouse. The start menu is unresponsive, and there's not even that many startup items. It's amazing. You can fully see why Apple can take such low end specifications, such as the MacBook Air or how about the Mac Mini still running on the Core 2 Duo and claim that they're lightning fast.

2. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

If your Windows 7 install is taking 10 minutes to boot, you've got a problem with your install. I mean seriously I love OS X and will take it over Win7 any time, but compare the two fairly at least.

Don't use a malfunctioning install of Windows 7 for a comparison to OS X. At least keep it honest.

3. weckart macrumors 68040

Windows preloads a lot of services and programs that you might actually not need. Perhaps you should check those before coming to any rash conclusions.

The upshot is, for a slower boot, Windows tends to launch applications more quickly. It is up to you what balance you want to strike between the two.

4. fratey macrumors regular

In the meanwhile, my boot time is <10 seconds on my Windows install. I'd say it's a big case of Error 30.

5. wpotere, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011

wpotere Guest

I have to agree with the above posts... My WIndows 7 system as been up and running for months now with no problems. I you are have freezing issues and slow boot then there is something wrong with your machine. Windows 7 is a nice OS as is OSx.

6. 76ShovelHead thread starter macrumors 6502a

76ShovelHead

Maybe just a little bit of exaggeration on how slow windows 7 boots, but still! lol. Ohh and maybe i miss-used the term "boot" whereas windows 7 boots pretty fast say 20 secs or less, it still takes it's time loading. I don't have many applications which start at startup, just my ATI Catalyst and software for my Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave, and just the usual windows stuff. AIM too. But I'm dead serious. It seems that computers made by companies like dell or hp run faster than if you were to build one yourself using exact same parts. They must do some magic when installing windows 7.

7. wpotere Guest

My machine is home grown (EVGA) and it runs, loads and boots fast. No tweaking needed.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My windows 7 partition on my core i7 loads up extremely quickly. Maybe a skosh slower then OSX.