Just an observation

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apple-tea, Jul 4, 2014.

1. apple-tea macrumors member

It's easy to see why investors treat APPL stock the way they do.

Apple prides itself on innovation, but for the last three years or more, we've been in a lag cycle. Waiting for products that should have been released a long time ago.

I think it was two summers ago that we were waiting for that retina Air, which we still haven't gotten. And oh, the iPhone.

My biggest problem that I can no longer stand for is battery life. Battery tech has not been innovated on.

Samsung has the right to pride themselves in their innovation. It took Apple forever to put a couple centimeters on the screen. And here we are prepping for an iPhone release promising an even bigger screen.

It's not like this is an issue that has occurred all of a sudden because, let's face it. The iPhone 5 battery was a piece of **** too. Earlier Apple said that the iPhones would lose the ability to be used with one hand. In a general sense, that's wrong. I just used a Galaxy Note 3 with one hand. What I can tell you about the iPhone is that it's so small that your hand is halfway closed when using it. Almost like grabbing a fork. It would actually help if they did make the screen bigger.

But the iPhone 6 is supposed to be the phone that brings Apple back to prominence. The screen is supposed to be bigger, the battery life will be so much better.

Well, maybe they might get one thing right.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Right, because Apple is a battery company. They're using the same battery tech as everyone else in the industry.

I agree that Apple hasn't really done anything innovative lately, but putting a bigger screen on a phone isn't innovation.

3. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Samsung would disagree lol

4. apple-tea thread starter macrumors member

It's time we all face it and realize that the iPhone battery is weak and a crutch. The frequency of time you have to plug in the phone drives me crazy.

And it's now where the phone is becoming more advanced, running more advanced programs. I can't use any of those applications without actually staying plugged in.

The iPhone runs like a Windows laptop with a defective battery.

5. PaythePiper macrumors member

Jeez what are you guys doing with your phones? Sounds to me like you treat them like laptops. its a freakin mobile device people. my iPhone lasts me all day.

6. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Speak for yourself, OP, not for anyone else.

You may be a battery jinx but I've had 8 different Apple products and the all of the batteries have been (and continue to be) excellent. :apple:

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

I get 2 to 3 days between charges. Doesn't seem so bad to me. (Shrug)

8. cynics macrumors G3

What applications do you use that actually have to keep the phone plugged in?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I found my iPhone 5's battery to be the most limiting factor, but I wouldn't quantify it as bad. I do hope apple improves battery performance but I'm kind of doubtful, they'd rather make it thinner instead.

10. apple-tea thread starter macrumors member

The kind of applications that use things like Metal. Or will be using.

The iOS platform has opened up many opportunities. But we can only go as far as it's battery.

It's just like someone said, to be out hiking a forest with an iPhone would be the last thing a person would want. It would die around noon.

11. matttye macrumors 601

I have two push email accounts (one of which is exchange for work) and one non-push setup on my phone and getting a lot of emails in itself can drain the battery quite rapidly.

I'm not even one of these people who watches a lot of videos on it or plays a lot of games and I find the battery to be quite poor.

People using the iPhone to its' full potential is not a bad thing!

12. dirtclod macrumors member

I've been pleasantly surprised by the battery life on my iPhone 5S. It easily gets me through a whole day. I'm an airline pilot and I often get to my hotel with 75% life left and almost never less than 50%, even with heavy usage.

I got the phone last fall shortly after it was introduced and have been a heavyish user since day 1. I expected battery degradation. Nope.

Count me as wildly satisfied. I don't know what some of you guys expect from your phones or what you do with them but my expectations have been exceeded.

13. apple-tea, Jul 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014

apple-tea thread starter macrumors member

Why not expect it to be at least as good as the competition, and at best to be as good as phones used to be. But it's here when you notice you kinda gotta have your charger nearby more often than not.

Whether it's using iTunes Radio. I have about 10 push emails set up. Podcasts and apps set to automatic download and location services turned on for what I need. And that's before I get to the games. And you want to talk about using something like iMovie. But then Apple wants to use the iPhone more and more for fitness. Constantly adding new possibilities to the phone but never improving battery enough to use them.

Some people say, oh 'in order to save the battery life you need to disable this and disable that.' Make sure to disable this this and this. Does anyone accept this as an appropriate answer? We could just turn the phone off, right?

No, it's time to face the facts, just an observation. I hope I don't sound unreasonable.

And I understand how some users say that the battery life exceeds their needs. I can understand that.

14. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I charge my iPhone 5 twice a day and have had to do that ever since iOS7 dropped. With iOS6 I only charged the phone once a day. People who get two or three days' use between charges just aren't using their phones.

15. I7guy macrumors G5

With early build of IOS 6 there was a bad battery problem on my IPAD 2. The latest build of IOS 6 finally resolved the issue. Now on IOS 7 my battery life is on both devices is fine, although I do with the iphone had a bigger capacity batter.

Obviously still a lot of iphone 5s (that is iphone 5 not 5 ess) out in the world. The people I know who have the iphone 5 are ok with the battery life.

16. cynics macrumors G3

But what application/game? Do you mean to say you need to keep your phone plugged in for applications not yet released?

I'm an avid backpacker, the compromise is to keep a phone off (any phone) or carry a battery back/solar/heat assisted charger. I opted to leave my iPhone off for weight savings.

For a day hike I still try to keep my phone off but have done it without turning my phone off 50+ times (I'd actually venture to say 100+) without a problem.

17. hharzer macrumors member

The battery is the iPhone's point of weakness. It lasted barely a day, sometimes just half a day!

I listened to music ( spotify or YouTube ), read my RSS feed, light internet browsing, push mail, WhatsApp. That's it.

I compared it to the samsung galaxy s5 and it was like day and night. I could the battery level dropping when I listened to music on my iPhone. And the galaxy? Lasted to days with more usage!

I hope that the bigger iPhone means better battery life. I hate samsung and their phone.