Just another good experience that makes me glad I use Macs!

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by ZachsMacDaddy, Feb 26, 2009.

1. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

I have bought several Macs over the years. Until recently they were all refurbished or used 3rd party systems.

Last month I bought a refurbished white Macbook 2.1 and it arrived with a few problems, so Apple took it back, waived the restocking fee and even paid for the return shipping costs.

Then I went to the Apple store about 140 round trip miles from home and bought a brand new white Macbook with the Nvidia chipset. I bought Applecare off ebay and activated it. Then I started having all kinds of issues and ended up returning it to the store (another 140 mile trip) on day 13 of the 14 day period. Once again they did not charge a restock fee. In fact, as I read through my list of problems they stopped me and just marked it DOA.

The only catch was that since I was not the original purchaser of the Applecare agreement, they could not refund anything. If they did, the money would have gone back on the credit card of the original purchaser. That would be bad for me and I'd be out the $$ I spent buying it on ebay. They said if I bought another Macbook I could transfer the plan to it.

So I sat back for a week and thought about what I wanted to do. Walk away from Apple laptops for a while after 2 bad units in a row or try a 3rd time? I decided to buy a refurbished unibody Macbook 2.0 off the Apple store online. So far it has been perfect. I love it.

So today I called and they guys at the Applecare phone service line were fantastic and took about 15-20 minutes transferring my plan to the new laptop. They didn't give me any hassle and kept me updated as they worked in the background. When they were done I refreshed my Applecare agreement view online and voila, it was perfect.

Thank you Apple. You stumbled a little with 2 bad laptops in a row, but the 3rd time you came through and your support folks really did a great job making everything easy and friendly.

My trips to the Apple store in person were great, even though the second one was to do a DOA return. The store was awesome (I had never been in an Apple store before) and the staff at the store was super friendly.

Try taking a laptop back to Best Buy and getting them to waive the restock fee so easily, let alone getting them to smile at all as they do it.

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Best Buy is annoying as crap to return stuff to or do a warranty claim with. My pops had an extended warranty on an iPod and he was without it for 3 months due to various problems. They never wanted to just swap it out.

3. ZachsMacDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

I waited for about 4 months to get my TV repaired by them. They kept lying to me, saying they would replace it completely if the next attempt to fix it failed. They basically called me a liar when I called to report that each attempt failed, stating they never would have told me that. I basically had everything in the TV except the wiring yoke(sp?) swapped out with new parts. Shortly after that the warranty expired and the TV developed some issues with the tuner degrading the signal. Yup, one of the "new" parts, but I was on my own now.

Best Buy has lied to me time and time again.

I caught them raising prices for a % off sale when I tried to buy a new oven. Sure, the "sale" price is now the same as what the regular one was 2 days before and then the regular price was back to the old price after the sale.

They also tried to tell me that a sales flyer that said ALL STEAM CLEANERS really meant all of them except the one I was trying to buy.

I have not spent a dime in BB in over 3 years because of these things.

With Circuit City going away I have to either buy stuff at Sams, Wal Mart, Target or online. I'll go to BB to see something in person, then if I want it I go somewhere else to buy it.

Ug, I don't want to turn this into an anti-BB rant.... There are enough of those.

4. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

Never had a problem with Apple and NewEgg is where I grab anything else. Can't beat almost next day shipping.

5. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Seems like they did what they should do, faulty goods, refund or repair , sorry I don't get it.

6. ZachsMacDaddy thread starter macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

When the plan spells out exactly how many failed attempts before a replacement can be issued and that number is passed with a flat our refusal I get annoyed. When after 3 months they tell me on the phone that after the next failed attempt I will definitely get a new TV and then after that failure they say I am lying and they never said that, I get pissed. When that happens TWO more times, well, what CAN I do but boycott them and spread the word?

Sure, they fixed it. But for them not follow the written terms of the policy, to call me a liar, to make promises to me and then back out every time, that's B*&^$*!t. If you're going to string me along for several months and keep trying, at least tell me that. Don't tell me "one more time" and keep doing it over & over.

7. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Ah Apple didn't do that to you , this time!. They did similar to me.

In fairness they do come through sometimes, and have for me eventually, I guess there are just one or two bad apples at Apple that are yet to be hoicked outta the barrel so to speak.