..just another worst Genius experience of my life.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cubedweller, Feb 5, 2009.

1. cubedweller macrumors 6502

...deleted the post because I was upset and worded it very poorly. You can read below if you're interested.

~E

..I meant for the title to read: ..just another 'worst Genius experience of my life' thread.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I dont understand? They misread your paperwork and now they're going to fix they're mistake for free for you?

3. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

No. They're absolutely not 'fixing it for free.' I paid for AppleCare.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What's a "sleep switch"? Do you mean the power button? If so, perhaps they needed to replace the logic board because it's built in. If that's not what you're referring to, then I don't really understand.

Regardless, I don't really understand this horrible Apple Genius experience, as it doesn't seem so horrible.

5. skwirl341 macrumors member

If I paid for a refurbished computer, I wouldn't expect to get a brand new one if something went wrong with the one I had. I would expect, at best, another refurbished computer. Replace a new computer with a new computer, a refurbished computer with a refurbished computer... that's the SAME EXACT level of customer care I would expect.

I know he didn't actually offer you another refurb, but I'm just saying...

6. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

The point isn't that I expected a new computer; I didn't. The point is, no where does it state that if you buy a refurbished Apple product, will you be treated different than any other customer. In fact, it's quite the opposite. They advertise the same warranty, same ability to buy AppleCare. Same everything.

It's a win/win for them and the customer. They get to offload old stock and customers get deals on older products. But nonetheless Apple has to live up to their word. I felt like a second class customer tonight. That's horrible.

I've recommended them to friends and family alike. I've always had excellent care. They've never mentioned anything negative about it being refurbished -- until tonight.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The reason he would've replaced it if it were new is because they have new ones in stock. They do not have refurbished units in stock and therefore he couldn't offer you one on the spot.

8. skwirl341 macrumors member

You completely ignored the point of my post. They should replace a new with a new and a refurb with a refurb. That is the same exact service. You are angry that you didn't get a computer that you didn't pay for. I do agree that the "Genius" was pretty dumb to say what he did.

9. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

Right; that's my point. He should have never said it. I would be perfectly happy with another refurbished machine, but that is also beside the point. Another 3-5 days of waiting, after Apple replaced the wrong part and then he tells me I'm a second class customer, really really upset me. That's not understandable? I really don't feel as if I'm overreacting, but maybe I am...

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I don't see the horrible part. And you can get defects replaced for free within the 1 year time frame warranty regardless of AppleCare or not. You're overreacting. He just stated a fact, not some fiction statement about you being "second class". He was being honest.

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

If you felt like a second class customer because of this experience, then I guess I can understand if you feel a bit upset.

However, is there any point to be angry about this? It appears to be such a small thing, and that's why people here don't really understand your post, or see the big deal.

Do you need a tissue or something? Perhaps some time alone?

12. skwirl341 macrumors member

No, you are right to be very angry about them repeatedly screwing up and leaving you without a laptop for a long period of time. Your original post just read as though you were upset that you didn't get a brand new laptop, which I don't think you would be justified in being upset about.

13. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, we'll see if Apple Corporate agrees with you guys. As I've said all along, I just want it to work. I would have loved to have not gone back to the Apple Store tonight. But Apple screwed up and replaced the wrong part. And now I'm without my Mac for another 3-5 days.

On top of that, he said something he really shouldn't of said -- but as for just stating a fact: I think that's the 'Apple can do no wrong stance.' And regardless of his intent, I felt like a second class customer. That had I been a "real" customer, I would be walking out with a computer right now, instead of another 3-5.

I definitely felt the 150$, or whatever the hell it was, was not worth it to buy a refurb. And will never recommend one again.

14. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

Yea, after re-reading that, I could have phrased it a bit better. I was a bit angry. Nevertheless, I'm not happy with the experience tonight.

And for those who think I'm just hear whining cause I didn't get a new MBP, you can read my previous threads/posts regarding this issue. It really wasn't my intent, and I had no expectation of that, besides, this was only attempt #2 -- I thought the unofficial, official rule was 3 times.

15. skwirl341 macrumors member

The same issue could have happened with a brand new laptop. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the sleep issue you ran into is why the laptop you have was returned in the first place. Apple probably thought they fixed it before they resold it, and I'm sure it passed all of their tests, but for whatever reason the problem is still there.

16. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

That is my thought too.

17. patrick92260 macrumors member

Cubedweller, I agree with everything you have to say about this for a few reasons. First, you bought this computer as a factory refurb FROM Apple with AppleCare, not from ebay and not with the intention that the computer would have to be replaced down the road. Second, if it is at the point that after all of these repairs Apple agrees that it really does need to be replaced (which from my own experience is almost never) the fact that you bought it as a refurb should not matter. I would be speaking with the store manager if I was in your situation.

18. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. The store was already closed by the time I left, so I didn't catch the manager. Do you recommend I go back tomorrow? That seems kind of awkward. I believe I should just deal with Apple Customer Care over the phone.

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Really? I think he'd look like a crybaby if he did because of some off-the-cuff remark made by someone. I don't think I could go through life taking everything so seriously, but anyway......

The problem with complaining is that you'll need to mention to the manager that the employee said he would have given you a new laptop as a replacement. When you do, the manager will think you're complaining to him just to see if you can get a new replacement.

Secondly, your repair history doesn't appear to warrant a replacement anyway. I've had my machine replaced before, and it wasn't easy to get one.

Thirdly, it doesn't matter what the employee said to you, because it's the manager that decides to give you a free replacement, not a salesperson Perhaps what he meant was, "Personally, I'd rather just give you a free replacement for your trouble, but you bought a refurbished machine." This would imply that if the decision were up to him (and the machine wasn't a refurb), he'd want to get you a new replacement. Or perhaps he was just telling you why he couldn't give you a replacement so that you understand --- like a bit of small talk.

I know that perhaps, he shouldn't have even mentioned a replacement if he knew he couldn't give one to you, but you really will just look like a small man for even complaining about such a tiny thing.

Let it go.

20. cubedweller thread starter macrumors 6502

..advice

...letting it go as we speak. Thanks to everyone who bothered to reply. Great to see both sides when you're a bit upset. Either way, I think I'll send Apple a friendly email regarding this experience.

~E

21. nickcliborne macrumors regular

Sounds like my refurb iphone 3g I purchased. Problem is I would expect them to try and make a call to verify the phone is working.

My mic was broken and it took all of 5 minutes at a store to get another phone but I found it comical that they sent a broken phone.